08 4.6l exhaust manifold leak, snapped bolts | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 4.6l exhaust manifold leak, snapped bolts

I removed the heat shield since they were all loose. It gives you better view, but still it looks like either heads or the entire motor has to come out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got an idea to get broken studs out, I drilled thru the strut tower. it worked for top, but bottom I am screwed the easy out broke in engine. now I either use 7 new grade 8 studs and hope it seals, or pull the head, Ford had the truck but there engines SUCK. my dream truck would be F350 with cummings engine, and allison transmission.

exhaust11.jpg

exhaust1.jpg

well I decided to put manifold back on with new gaskets, sounded worse and then I broke off another stud in head, So either I am gonna pull engine or pull off head. does anybody have advice?

If they can't drill out a broken bolt due to engine compartment interference, yes.

When I trade it in I will just make sure it is good and warm....
What about doing the repair through the wheel-well?

Repair through the wheel well is almost impossible. I was unable to extract one on the end of the minifold.. I just left it off and put in a new gasket and my ticking sound has been gone for 6 months.

up date I bought a new fomoco exhaust manifold off ebay for 149 free shipping, the dealer wanted 280 for the same thing. then I bought some cheap tools off ebay. I did remove the starter and the motor mount nut, then jacked up the engine a few inches.

IMAG0499.jpg

exhaust11.jpg

exhaust1.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0498.jpg

oh wow i pulled my heads, got it all done now. i used bolts this time instead of studs

oh wow i pulled my heads, got it all done now. i used bolts this time instead of studs

How long of a job was it ? Did you need special tools to set the timing after the heads were off ?

no i didnt need any special tools, i just made sure i got the timing arrows in the general area where they will be at when the engine is at top dead center before installing the heads, i did put new tensioners in the motor since i didn't have the c clips to hold them in and also both gaskets ripped on the old ones. When i put the chains on i lined up the dark link at the 6 oclock dot on the crank and used a breaker bar with a 15mm socket on the cam sprocket bolt to move the cam the slight few degrees to slip the chain on the right spot on the cam sprocket.

Just make sure you line the driver side to the L cam Arrow, and the Passenger to the R arrow

This video helped alot even thought its a older 4.6 engine, still the same deal.

Went to dealer today. Got passenger side rear stud replaced under warranty.
97000 km. Glad I didn't have to do it!

Update: I took my 08 LTD 67 Kmiles (see above) to the dealer for a diagnosis on the noise. As we expected... Exhaust manifold. Approx $1100. I did not have them do the work at that time.

I asked about warranty and they said that all they do is plug the VIN into the computer and it says yes or no. Mine said no.

Then I found on page 29 of the 2008 warranty manual that there is a warranty called the "Long Term Defects Warranty.

See image here: (dead links)

The exhaust manifold is listed. I called Ford customer service and after about 15 mins of research they told me it SHOULD be covered, they didn't know why it wasn't. The attendant was all set to make an appointment at my dealer for me and he said he had to run it by his supervisor. This is where we hit a wall.

They referred me to page 28 where it says (paraphrasing) If your car is registered in what Ford considers a "green" state, the defect is covered. If it is registered in what they consider a non-green state, it is NOT covered. Ford considers all of the states SURROUNDING New Hampshire (my state) green. Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York and many others. Therefore MY defect is not covered. Even though the car was registered in New York for the first 63k miles of its life.

I know. They are doing nothing illegal. They are adhering to the "LETTER" of their warranty.

My issue is that for a company with a reputation like they have, (best selling truck, Built Ford Tough etc). Should an exhaust manifold go at 4000 miles out of warranty? I have had vehicles run over 200k without needing an exhaust manifold.

I wrote to their customer service dept, and explained in very nice, accurate terms what the issue was. (That an item like this should not need to be replaced at 70k. That is was a very common issue etc). That to have the warranty be "state of registration" dependent or not is ludicrous. Ford is known for building a durable, quality vehicle. The bottom line is: Does Ford build a quality vehicle that they will stand behind or not.

My answer came in the mail last week. A very short, terse letter stating (and I quote)

"We uphold the decision of the customer service rep you spoke with on the phone. Unless you have further information, this matter is now closed"

Then the part about "Thank you for being a loyal Ford customer BLAH BLAH BLAH... "

They missed my point. I didn't disagree with the reps decision, I was disagreeing with their policy. They just didn't get it.

I could understand if perhaps the manifold went at even 100k, but 4K above the std warranty?!?!?!? Still included under long term warranty (but excluded because of state of registration)?!?!?! Is there no "good will" on their part? Do they think this is going to make me want to buy another Ford product? (I've had 6, 3 brand new).

With dependability and customer service like this, Is it any wonder the imports are kicking the US ass when it comes to motor vehicle sales ???

Venting off. Sorry for the rant.

P.../NH

(Hopefully the last) update on this issue:

I took my 'splorer in to a local and very small exhaust chain this week. Lou's Custom Exhaust. They had come highly recommended from several people. I had spoken with the owner a couple of months ago, explained my issue, and he just nodded and said that he has done hundreds of these (Ford 3 valve V8's). He knew exactly what the deal was.

Anyway, I got my car back yesterday. Quiet as a mouse. Haven't driven it long enough to see if there are still fumes in the cab, but on the short ride home, there appeared to be none.

He found BOTH #1 cyl bolts broken. He pulled the manifold off, removed all the studs including the broken ones, put all new (higher quality) studs in, a new manifold gasket and nuts. Total was $450. That would have taken me the better part of a 3-day weekend. Well worth it in my book.

Hopefully I am done with this debacle.

P.../NH

Where is Lou's shop. Seems like a great deal.

Explorer Pl, Here is a link to their web site. As I mentioned. A small. New England chain.

http://www.louscustomexhaust.com/

I used the Portsmouth NH location. My son uses the Manchester, NH Location. He is as pleased as I am. Very customer focused and good, honest work at a fair price.

Might be a bit far from NY though. :)

Best.

P.../NH

PS. No more fume leaks either...

Yeah, it's far....

Just clicked 140,000 miles on mine this weekend.

The mufler is making some minor noises too, so I may be looking at entire exhaust system in near future.

Thanks anyway.

I worked on the left side manifold this weekend. It was ticking. The 2 front bolts snapped off below the head. The manifold warped and it was very noticable on a flat surface. I removed the shock so I could drill a hole in the tower to drill out the stud. I installed the manifold and used a quick center to drill a hole in the stud. Then I used an easy out to slowly twist the stud back and forth and removed it. I did not have the time to remove the lower stud. It has very little clearance to center a drill bit. I ordered and installed a new manifold from Toulseyfordparts.com and installed new 10.9 bolts for most of the studs. There is still a small tick at startup but is gone after a few seconds. I can't believe Ford has not had a class action suit over this and the spark plug and radiator issues. This may be my last Ford vehicle purchase.

I really like my 06, but between the sparkplug drama, and the manifolds, and the SJB, and bearings, and ..... I am too surprised there is no legal action against Ford.

I worked on the left side manifold this weekend. It was ticking. The 2 front bolts snapped off below the head. The manifold warped and it was very noticable on a flat surface. I removed the shock so I could drill a hole in the tower to drill out the stud. I installed the manifold and used a quick center to drill a hole in the stud. Then I used an easy out to slowly twist the stud back and forth and removed it. I did not have the time to remove the lower stud. It has very little clearance to center a drill bit. I ordered and installed a new manifold from Toulseyfordparts.com and installed new 10.9 bolts for most of the studs. There is still a small tick at startup but is gone after a few seconds. I can't believe Ford has not had a class action suit over this and the spark plug and radiator issues. This may be my last Ford vehicle purchase.

Excellent write-up... And yes, I am with you on the class action thing. Ford should own up to BOTH of these issues. On my exhaust, they told me it would not be covered under warranty because my car is registered in NH. If it was registered in Mass, Maine, VT NY CT they would cover it. So much for quality being "Job 1".

My passenger side exhaust manifold and all studs were replaced at about 50k. I just did the plugs this weekend at 65k. Took me all of 28 minutes start to finish. I used my DeWalt 3/8" cordless impact. Worked like a dream. Do a quick search about it. It works!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is my 2nd Ford (First was a 2006 Focus), and both were Maintenance hogs....Quite frustrating. :mad:

I bought mine (06 EX EB 4.6L 4WD) used at 86,000 miles. A week before I picked it up, the owner had to put a new transmission in it. Then the Manifold, then 2 bearings, now exhaust needs replacing Cat-back, another bearing is about to go (got the preliminary ABS and Traction Control lights), AND I need a new transfer case. :thumbdwn:

The thing has so many unnatural sounds when I drive it, I turn up the radio to help keep me calm!

I don't know if it is the original radiator, I have to think not. I'm pretty certain the plugs are original, so I'm not looking forward to that!!!

It now has 89,000 miles (Yeah, all that happened in a span of 3,000 miles)...

I often wonder if the Ford design engineers are just stupid,:scratch: or if they are smart, and really want to do the right thing, but some corporate idiot :D trying to make his/her quarterly bonus keeps pushing quality down in exchange for profit. I suspect the latter.......

I say "Aye" to the class action :troops: The only problem with that is we would all get $25 and a free oil change and the lawyer would get $30,000,000!

Back