2006 4.6L v8 right bank exhaust manifold gasket replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 4.6L v8 right bank exhaust manifold gasket replacement

dtsanders05

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 eddie bauer ford exp
I need to replace the passenger side exhaust manifold gasket but cannot get to the manifold bolts due to the front wheel steering/supension assembly. What do I need to do to get the clearence needed to remove the bolts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since I did both sides on mine, and it took me just 2 days to do them, I'll never forget that experience ....:)
First of all, get a new manifold and gasket, do not reuse the old manifold, is warped for sure.
Then, I took a deep 13 mm socket, 3/8 drive and cut off about 3/4 inch so I had a custom semi-deep socket that fit in there on a breaker bar.
Next, try gently to loosen each of the 8 nuts, most likely few will snap, some will come out with the stud which is good if you are lucky.
Remove the 15 mm nuts connecting it to the cat assembly, those stud may break too, so have new set of exhaust studs with nuts ready as well.
On the passenger side, the engine sits on a mount with 2 studs pointing up with 18mm nuts - remove the nuts.
Place a piece of wood under the oil pan and jack up the motor few inches.That will give you more room.
Once you remove all the nuts and studs even if they break, remove the manifold - it's tricky but can be done. Once the manifold is out you'll have a lot more room to drill out the broken studs. Have 8 mm tap, but also 10 mm, you may need to go size up, and then have a 10 mm stud if you do.
Good luck, be patient.
My thread is somewhere on the forum with the pictures when I did it.

Would yall recommend upgrading the manifold (to a header?)while you're at it ? Maybe something higher performance and or less likely to warp?

Nobody makes them for Explorers. Be ready to replace the manifolds every few years unless you are ok with the ticking noise, I am not :)

Nobody makes them for Explorers. Be ready to replace the manifolds every few years unless you are ok with the ticking noise, I am not :)
So they warp every few years and neither ford of the aftermarket had made a better option, that sucks.
I wonder if headers from another 3v 4.6 would be close enough.
Right now mine ticks on startup but warms up and gets pretty quiet.

My 2006 V8 manifolds are original and have not warped. All the header bolts were there when I checked few months back.

Based on my experience not all headers are bad from the factory. If you are taking them out you might want to straighten them out at machine shop. Hopefully they have settled to their final shape by now and hold their shape from now on?

I think someone had installed Mustang headers in Explorer but it required some modification to them on either passenger or driver side.

Back