Replacing Seat Filters | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Seat Filters

A different dealership (where I actually bought it) quoted me about $15-20 for total labor and each filter is about $41. So, a total of about $100 seems more reasonable. Still, I'll wait for another 30,000 miles before I address again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YW.

It is also my impression that the fans run when warming the seats too, since it uses the same component to warm the seats as it does to cool them, just in reverse. This could lead to the filters getting clogged faster.

You are correct sir, the seats use the fans when both heating and cooling. I've dealt with these filters on an Expedition, and they are not that difficult to change. The link to the manual in the post above shows exactly what to do. It’s an easy DIY.

If you drive normally with the windows up and do not live in a dusty area, the filters won't need to be changed very often. If you live on a gravel road and/or often drive with the windows down, change them every 30K miles.

I am just over 30,000 miles and was advised to have my seat filters changed (I don't have a/c seats), transmission fluid changed, and radiator fluid changed to the tune of $700. I drive about 22,000 miles per year but they are not rough miles. Seems like the fluid change is excessive.

Wow... I know its getting harder to work on the newer models, but I'm still hoping for a Haynes or Chilton manual to do basic to intermediate stuff.

I am just over 30,000 miles and was advised to have my seat filters changed (I don't have a/c seats), transmission fluid changed, and radiator fluid changed to the tune of $700. I drive about 22,000 miles per year but they are not rough miles. Seems like the fluid change is excessive.
If you drive on unpaved roads and/or in dusty conditions, then 30,000 miles is recommended for the transmission fluid change.
Otherwise, the recommended intervals for the transmission fluid change is 150k miles and the coolant is 100k miles or 72 months and then every 50k miles or 36 months thereafter.
As for the seat filter, I believe it is also used for heating, not just cooling.

Peter

If you drive on unpaved roads and/or in dusty conditions, then 30,000 miles is recommended for the transmission fluid change.
Otherwise, the recommended intervals for the transmission fluid change is 150k miles and the coolant is 100k miles or 72 months and then every 50k miles or 36 months thereafter.
As for the seat filter, I believe it is also used for heating, not just cooling.

Peter

Living in SE Texas I use the seat heater about 2 times a year! I had the service done, but wish I would have waited till 60K to do it.

No, no, and no. You are being ripped off. Modern coolant is good for at least 100K. Transmission, normally I would do at 60K - 70K. If you don't have cooled seats, you don't have filters. Whoever this dealer is, RUN AWAY.

Only if you have cooled seats. If you just have the standard heated only seats, there are no filters in the seats.

Only if you have cooled seats. If you just have the standard heated only seats, there are no filters in the seats.
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure.

Peter

Follow your manual, it clearly states what and when you should have service. Anything earlier is dealer profit. Run...

Does Napa or anyone else make one that we can use instead?

Follow your manual, it clearly states what and when you should have service. Anything earlier is dealer profit. Run...

That's the problem - there are different levels of maintenance depending on your driving habits, so there is some "discretion" involved.

I now realize I probably didn't need it so I will kindly skip their offer at 60K.

One of my filters fell off and I can say that paying $40 for one or two of them is a serious rip-off! Some plastic and a piece of filter material. As the filter is not cleaning the air for breathing, only to keep the fan clean, I would suggest taking a vacuum to the filter before paying $0 for replacement(s).

I'm at about 57,000 miles now. Still have not changed the seat filters. My truck will be 2 years old in February. In the next month or so, I plan to have the trans fluid, coolant, air & cabin filters changed, and an alignment. Getting new tires (Bridgestone Alenza's) next week.

Has any company started making replacement filter other than Ford.
$20+ each is a bit much for what it is.
I think I'm going to pull mine out an vacuum them out, but I'm at 30,000+ and summer is coming up and I like my cooled seats.

I'm almost at 110,000 miles. Still haven't changed the seat filters. The cooled seats are still working fine. I'll recheck again in the summer months.

Go to
http://www.fosuvs.com/focont-458.html

Seriously. Could not be easier, and $200 for labor is a TOTAL RIP OFF. Seats do not have to taken out, or pulled apart. I would suggest you have a word or two with that service supervisor.

ADDENDUM: definitely have a word with that advisor with maybe a Louisville Slugger. I removed the filter, vacuumed it out and reinstalled it in under 2 minutes, while wearing a bathrobe ! Put the seats all the way forward and all the way up, and the filters are RIGHT THERE. I live in Arizona and we definitely use the seat cooling for the last 2.5 years. The filters were still near new condition. That type of blatant BS from service is insulting.

I read on another forum they are like HEPA filters, and can be vacumed clean, and re-used for a cycle or two, just do NOT get them wet.

I have a 2012 Limited, and it has turned out to be a far better car than I thought it would be. Extremely satisfied. I had an X5 for 5 years before this.

Believe nothing, google everything, then listen to your gut and use common sense.

I am nearing 30k miles and need to order the filters for my AC seats, I placed an order on Amazon for a "Motorcraft FS-104 Seat Filter" but it only included the black plastic caps and no paper filter. With the caps being of no use I returned them and now need to order the part again but I dont want to order them from the dealer as they are $41+. When you multiply that by the two front seats that can be a bit costly. Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase the filters at a reasonable price?

Thanks

The insert should be included.
Search the filter insert parts numbers at the official site below, your plastic part # is correct - no insert shown.
Maybe your item from Amazon was incomplete?

Dealer would have the part # also, ask about filter insert and see what they say-call and ask parts counter and they will search for you,
get the part # and when they ask you to order tell them you will call back etc.

http://www.fordparts.com/

FILTER - CCS
Part #: FS104
Pack Qty: 1 Shippable $41.13
Update
Remove
$41.13
FILTER - CCS
Part #: 7L1Z19E880A
Pack Qty: 1 Shippable $41.13

Ebay - pair for $62-includes plastic cap also. Click on the items to see additional part # - all same as yours for 5th gen Ex.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=OEM+NEW+Ford+Heated+Climate+Controlled+Seat+Air+FILTERS+Pair+Both+Front+Seats&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The insert should be included.
Search the filter insert parts numbers at the official site below, your plastic part # is correct - no insert shown.
Maybe your item from Amazon was incomplete?

Ebay - pair for $62-includes plastic cap also. Click on the items to see additional part # - all same as yours for 5th gen Ex.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=...ds=&rmvSB=true

Just when back to the Amazon page and it looks like there are several other buyers who had the same issue. When I ordered them I just typed in the part number from the service manual and the part looked right on the website. I am not sure if it is an amazon problem or a quirk with Ford but it seems like it is an issue with the newer orders as buyers prior to 2015 got the filter with their order. One mentioned there was a part number change for the paper filter itself but gave no help as to what that new number might be.

I think I will give ebay a try and cross my fingers if no one else has a place that is reliable and cost effective alternative. If that doesnt pan out I guess I will just bite the bullet and go to my local dealer.

Back