• Register Today It's free!

service parts?

chrisx

Reaction score
City, State
Nassau, Bahamas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer limited
Hey guys, my x is not under warranty and i want to service it myself. want to know if anyone would suggest better parts and oil than the motor craft or is the motor craft the best for the x. all help is appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out the BobIsTheOilGuy. You will learn more than you ever thought possible about oil. Since my Explorer has the V6 Ecoboost (Sport), I use full synthetic. Turbocharged engines can run very hot, and potentially break down lesser oils. The motorcraft oil is a synthetic oil blended with regular oil, so full synthetic should be a step up. My personal preference is Penzoil Platinum, since I can get a 5Qt bottle at Walmart for about $27+tax, and it also is a well-recommended oil. Mobil 1 may be slightly better, but it usually costs a bit more.

The V6 takes 6 quarts, so my first (and every 6th oil change, I will have to buy a second bottle. That works out to about $40 in for a full synthetic change once you include a filter. Walmart's website says they charge $50 for their house blend full synthetic, but that only covers up to 5 quarts. Other shops tend to run a little more. I'd be paying about $60-65 if I were to get my oil changed at a trusted shop.

While we're on the subject, this is the easiest vehicle I've ever changed the oil on. Throw in a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve (the F-107n) and you can run a hose right from the oil pan to a waste oil bottle. BAM, wrench-less oil change. Won't spill a drop.

The specs for my MKT state to use WSS-M2C946-A motorcraft oil which was the same, I believe, or equivalent, as what I used in my 2011 Explorer. I'm not sure if that is just a regular non synthetic premium oil or a blend. All I know is that I didn't pay extra for the oil changes on the Ex which were around $39.

Peter

I just checked that out and that is why I went back and edited my post. You're just to fast.:)

Peter

Hey guys, my x is not under warranty and i want to service it myself. want to know if anyone would suggest better parts and oil than the motor craft or is the motor craft the best for the x. all help is appreciated. thanks

I've used K&N oil filters, copper oil drain plug gaskets, and Mobile 1 Synthetic. A little pricey, but reduces the overall number of oil changes per year. No problems for me so far.

Back