4.0 Timing Chain Tensioners? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Timing Chain Tensioners?

Roadblock1945

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I've been trying to track a noise down in my engine for a while now. I get this cold start rattle and some other noise that I thought was timing related but It's had this noise for like the last 100k.

I was always under the impression that the timing chain and tensioners required me to rip the motor out or at least a way a part to change them. Friend told me there are 3 and he knew 2 of them went in like bolts.

My Explorer has 243,000+ miles on it, I've NEVER done this. I didn't even know it was a thing.

Wondering if this might be the source of my rattle. Any guilds to doing them?

My other concern is... If I replace these, can it cause other issues if other parts are worn? I guess what I'm asking is, is there any reason I wouldn't want to do them?

Also where should I get them from? I'm seeing prices of 20 dollars to 125.00 dollars. Should I get factory ford?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tensioners aren't always the issue, the plastic cassette guides are the common culprit. The passenger side tensioner is on the head right next to the exhaust manifold at the firewall, and the driver side tensioner is just to the side of the thermostat housing. You can probably buy some time with replacing the tensioners but it is an inevitable failure you will have to face at some point. Changing the timing chains is where the motor needs to come out.

Odds are its the cassettes. You may get away with changing the 2 tensioners but the cassettes have probably shattered. Your looking at around 4k to get them replaced. Start shopping for a wrecker engine because detonation is just a matter of time. Horrible design by Ford once again.

Also be aware that if the chain cassette guides are already damaged, you might cause *more* damage by replacing the tensioners. New tensioners more than likely will cause additional tension on the already damaged guides creating additional pressure on the cassette leading to the ultimate ka-blewie.
I have a little startup rattle in my '98 SOHC and I did find plastic cassette parts when I did an oil change about 20k miles ago. No way am I going to change tensioners and virtually guarantee complete guide disintegration. So yes, there is an argument for NOT replacing tensioners. I'd switch to a full synth oil and filter and change it regularly. That won't guarantee against the inevitable but it might hold it off a while. Good Luck.

I have a 2002, wasn't that the year they "fixed" the issue with the plastic? Not saying it can't still be an issue or anything but just thought I would mention it.

I've always ran Mobile 1 in this engine, change is every 5,000 or so. I've never seen any particles of anything in the oil. Always comes out clean and I never have to add a drop to this engine.

I ordered the tensioners before I saw any of the feedback. Hmmm...

Side note, I've had this noise for over 120,000 miles. Definitely sounds like its coming from the back of the passenger side.

I think the "fix" was in 04 or 05, but some of the 4.0 mustangs had the same issue. You can try to put a new tensioner in the passenger side head but most likely you are gonna need a full timing chain swap.

I have an '05 4.0 and it has made bad timing chain noise for a long time now. Some mornings it sounds very bad for a minute or so after a cold start. I wait for the noise to stop, then drive to point B. I can hear it while driving too, the noise is really noticeable next to a guardrail or another vehicle with the windows down. Just under 200,000 miles. I'm going to drive her until she blows, then have a new engine put in it. I don't really want to drop 3-4K on having an engine with 200,000 miles serviced when I can have a new one dropped in for a little more.

The shop i took mine to for timing chain repair was cheaper to have an engine installed compared to having mine fixed.

So what you guys are saying is.....it is better to get a different engine that to fix the timing chain?

The shop i took mine to for timing chain repair was cheaper to have an engine installed compared to having mine fixed.
So it's better to get a different engine than to replace the timing chain?

So it's better to get a different engine than to replace the timing chain?
It is cheaper right now, yes. But my reasoning to fix my engine even though it was more was a tough decision. I have been driving my Mountaineer for 4 years. I know it's quirks and how it runs. My motor had 145k when I fixed the timing chains. The motor the shop was going to sell me had 86k miles on it. I know with my motor that it had fresh chains and the whole kit, whereas the used motor they were gonna sell me was all original. I didn't know how long that motor would last me until I needed to do major repairs to it. So, even though I spent more money now, I feel that I saved myself money in the long run by not getting a used motor replacement.

Just my opinion, but like everyone else, I too have the chain noise. I was about to try tensionsers too, but with the chance it could do more harm, possibly speed up the damage, I decided to let it be one of those parts to just leave alone. Put the money into something else you may need on the truck.

Back