Replace timing chain tensioners before problems? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace timing chain tensioners before problems?

1996ex

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0 XLT 4WD
We have a 2003 Explorer 4.0 SOHC that we'd like to give to my father. I'm worried though about the timing chain tensioners failing and then it just being worthless.

It has 162k on it, so I know it's kind of around the time those start to fail. I also think I've heard that rattle noise sometimes toward the end of an oil change interval.

Is there any way I can replace those tensioners to pre-empt them from failing and ruining the engine?

Any thoughts appreciated!

We have a 2003 Explorer 4.0 SOHC that we'd like to give to my father. I'm worried though about the timing chain tensioners failing and then it just being worthless.

It has 162k on it, so I know it's kind of around the time those start to fail. I also think I've heard that rattle noise sometimes toward the end of an oil change interval.

Is there any way I can replace those tensioners to pre-empt them from failing and ruining the engine?

Any thoughts appreciated!
If you're talking about the external tensioners (2), they are pretty easy to replace, you just need a deep socket. I removed the passenger wheel and mud guard to access the rear. It's been reported that this may cause problems if your timing chain cassettes are already weakened/fractured. The added stress from the new and fully loaded tensioner could cause them to break completely.
Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement? - Here is a good similar thread to check out, take a look at the 2nd post, good info there.

There are many hydraulic timing chain tensioner threads on EF, so I'm not going to advise. Here's a video showing the internals of the tensioners. What most are not aware of is the hidden rubber check valve that may be causing issues due to age. Thanks @donalds for your amazing work (except for the slip) and video. This REALLY should be a sticky. I'm going to PM admin and suggest it.

BTW, next time you do something like this wear heavy gloves. ;)

I never seen a cut away before

Now that I've seen in one
ill just replace them every so often

The ultimate protection is a preoiler .

Back