'93 Explorer XLT With 345,000+ Miles Large Oil Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 Explorer XLT With 345,000+ Miles Large Oil Leak

AustinM

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I knew that it was leaking oil, but it appears to be getting worse. At my last oil change I was told I was down 1.5 quarts from my previous change. Any sort ideas/recommendations to try and mitigate this? When I'm under the car it looks like it's leaking from inside the engine compartment towards the cabin right in the center of the car. The engine has just over 345,000 miles on it with the original engine and transmission.

Update: I was able to get under it (somewhat) and take some pictures of what the underside looks like, I've attached them below! It does look like there's some leaking coming from the oil filter seal area, but that doesn't seem to be the real issue. The underside looks like an absolute mess and possibly looks like I'm leaking coolant somewhere too?

20180903_185234.jpg

20180903_185244.jpg

20180903_185318.jpg

20180903_185342.jpg

20180903_185441.jpg

20180903_185508.jpg

20180903_185821.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rear main oil seal?

oil filter housing leaking?

Last time I was under there it didn't look like the oil filter seal was leaking to me, it looks like the majority of the leaking is coming from up in the engine compartment and dripping down. I'll take a look when I get out to it again in a bit and update the thread with what I see and possible some pictures.

Any chance you're replaced the intake manifold gasket in the near past?

It looks like the rear main oil seal is leaking, that clean spot around the oil pan drain plug is indicative of a constant supply of fresh motor oil (as my 97' with only 130k is doing the same thing), it also looks like maybe the oil pan gasket/bolts also might be leaking along with the front main oil seal too.

It looks like the rear main oil seal is leaking, that clean spot around the oil pan drain plug is indicative of a constant supply of fresh motor oil (as my 97' with only 130k is doing the same thing), it also looks like maybe the oil pan gasket/bolts also might be leaking along with the front main oil seal too.

Is there a good guide somewhere on how to go about replacing those?

Yea, it's called "google search"! Or if you have the shop manual in pdf format it might help. Or even a "HAYNES" or "CHILTON" , basically for the rear main oil seal either the engine or trans. has to come out, but since you have other gaskets to do, just lift the engine out (much easier to work on that way) and do it, while it;s out, also change the transmission front pump seal.

I don't think its just the main seal, it looks like its leaking at least at the oil pan and front of the intake, and probably the main seal since they are prone to leakage. How much money do you want to throw at a engine with 345,000 miles? Its near or past its life span. To change out the oil pan gasket, you need to pull the engine out far enough to get the oil pan off. You would be better off at this point to get a rebuilt engine, or pull the engine and go through it while changing all the gaskets.

By the way, 974X4BLACKSPORT, "Yea, its called google search" isn't very helpful.

Mine looked a lot like that and ended up being the pan seal.

Oill leaks V6:
valve cover gaskets
Oil filter mount O ring
oil pressure sender
Dipstick tube
Oil pan gasket
Looks like your engine may have all of the above

Coolant:
Heater control valve
heater hoses
waterpump
timing cover/gasket

First you would have to clean the whole mess then try to pinpoint, in this case you may find there are several leaks and seep-ages

If you reinstall the timing cover be aware that Ford didn't use any guide pins so nothing locates the cover to the block. There is a bushing available that fits over the crank and locates the cover centered on the crank so the seal doesn't leak.

you don't need the tool to center housing to balancer just use the balancer on the shaft while you tighten down the bolts
roscoe

Back