• Register Today It's free!

Lower manifold leak?

epster88

Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Got an oil leak on my '94 Explorer. Not huge, but enough to require a quart every month or two and to make a mess on the driveway. It's not the oil pan gasket, but the next one up (lower intake manifold gasket?). Someone recommended adding Gunk Bearin' Sealer to see if it stops the leak. Another person said it works, but you have to keep adding (after each oil change?) to keep it from leaking again.

I don't want to replace the gasket unless it's absolutely necessary, so if this can buy some time, I'm all for it provided nothing gets hosed.

Any comments, warnings or recommendations?

Lower manifolds are easy to replace gaskets. A little work, but straight forward. I would stay away from additives as they also get into places you don't want that stuff to be in. The band-aid fixes are only for emergencies and this doesn't sound like one...IMHO.

It might also be the rear main seal. This happens frequently on our engines. I have this and it is annoying, but it won't affect anything except your pocketbook and parking spot. Once it is time to rebuild or replace you engine or tranny, then deal with it.

Back