Fuel tank range question / DTE | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel tank range question / DTE

Doesn't fuel mixture usually run richer when it's colder? Maybe it's able calculate that too?
I don't know what algorithm it is using, but the DTE number in the morning is different from the night before even if I just turn the key to on without starting it. My fusion seems to have a larger variance than my explorer as it gets twice the mpg and the DTE in fusion is larger as a result - haven't really calculated to see if percentage variance is same though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what algorithm it is using, but the DTE number in the morning is different from the night before even if I just turn the key to on without starting it. My fusion seems to have a larger variance than my explorer as it gets twice the mpg and the DTE in fusion is larger as a result - haven't really calculated to see if percentage variance is same though.

I'm going to do some digging on how this works, maybe there's some literature on how to reset the calculator that would give a hint to it.

I doubt this is something difficult for manufacturers to figure out. I mean.. i know that the distance to empty isnt accurate 100% but it should stay within its numbers when turning the car off and on. My Dodge Charger works fine. Now it may changed based on driving habits meaning if i gas the h*ll out of it yea the distance till empty will go down but the number will go from there and not change based on turning on and off. My wifes Audi does the same. Dont know why ford is having this trouble.

Im happy to say that i made this topic because im thinking maybe someone in the future might want to know this as well and you guys are knowledgeable.. so good job to you guys!

My wife ended up not getting that Sport. It just didnt have the features she wants. Were still looking around. Thanks yall!

I doubt this is something difficult for manufacturers to figure out. I mean.. i know that the distance to empty isnt accurate 100% but it should stay within its numbers when turning the car off and on. My Dodge Charger works fine. Now it may changed based on driving habits meaning if i gas the h*ll out of it yea the distance till empty will go down but the number will go from there and not change based on turning on and off. My wifes Audi does the same. Dont know why ford is having this trouble.

Im happy to say that i made this topic because im thinking maybe someone in the future might want to know this as well and you guys are knowledgeable.. so good job to you guys!

My wife ended up not getting that Sport. It just didnt have the features she wants. Were still looking around. Thanks yall!
I don't see how you can't get at least some variations as the fuel level is typically "smoothed" so the fuel gauge doesn't bounce all over the place while driving.

It is common for fuel gauges to take a little time to register the level after fill up.

Also, depending on the slope of the area where a vehicle is parked, that could affect the fuel level reading.

Just to clarify, my DTE display doesn't just change simply after turning the vehicle on and off, but it has displayed different data after it has sat overnight. My MBs and Chevy were/are the same way.

I don't have time to delve into the how or why of the DTE algorithm - I personally see the DTE as interesting but irrelevant data most of the time and I don't rely on it. I typically just go by my fuel level and or the fuel used readout to gauge how far I want to push it before refilling.

I've just completed over a dozen gas fills in the past 5 days - over 4500 miles from California to back east and back. What I've noticed in my 2013 Exp Sport is that the "Miles to Empty (M2E)" is very suspect. Consistently from a full tank down to 1/4 tank remaining, the M2E gradually overstates the distance to empty. Then from 1/4 tank to empty the overstatement gradually decreases. To use a very simple example:

At 4/4 full, if M2E says 380 miles to empty - that might be correct.
At 3/4 full, if M2E says 280 miles to empty - that might be slightly overstated.
At 1/2 full, if M2E says 210 miles to empty - that will be overstated by maybe 20 miles.
At 1/4 full, if M2E says 120 miles to empty - that will be overstated by maybe 30 miles.

The actual numbers above may not be accurate but the concept is. Due to dramatically different geography and elevation changes, I never relied on the M2E until the tank got to below 1/2. The above concept stayed true regardless of MPG resets.

I always knew the M2E was not 100% accurate but when trying to accurately predict efficient gas stops, the above became a problem on at least 2 gas stops until I figured out the discrepancy. It became a small game to deal with the boredom to guess the discrepancy. This is more a FYI as I'm guessing its a design issue rather that an actual fault in my specific car. Pic is from when I coasted down an long decline into a gas station ;-) Its was from this point I figured out what was going on.

-mick

PS Doing an oil change later today...

IMG_9700.jpg

My understanding on the DTE figure based on the my Explorer, my F-150 and my sister's focus, is the calculation is adjusted based on the fuel usage over 30 minute time frames. On the Explorers with the dual screen instrument panel, fuel usage history can be displayed under the fuel economy menu. I believe, although not 100% about this, but the DTE algorithm uses this information and adjusts the DTE figure. So, based on that, the DTE can be overstated or understated based on the previous 30 minutes of drive history. This I believe also explains why the number doesn't change after resetting the instant fuel economy or the trips. Personally, I have never gone by this number myself as I prefer to refuel when I hit 1/4 tank. Just my 2 cents.

I noticed that my DTE went up 1 whole km after driving about 15 minutes after I filled up today. Went from 619 to 620 kms (384.6 to 385.2 mi.). This is the first time I've fueled up my new vehicle.

Peter

Back