• Register Today It's free!

Ford explorer 2018 xlt AWD

Omarzer00

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford explorer 2018 xlt
Hi, this is my first post here. I bought ford explorer xlt 2018 32xxx mile from carvana yesterday very nice SUV and drives smooth I put gas in it (full tank) and I was surprised it shows only 200mile to Empty. I reseted the the gas economy meters and drove it on the interstate still the same I drove around 60 mile and the gas gauge is little bit above 3/4 but still shows around 140 mile to E. is that normal? is there something wrong?… I just drove the company explorer 2018/2019 right before I purchased this one and gave me over 350 for a full tank of gas but that was 2WD! the funny thing is I have a 98 ford explorer xlt with 230xxx mile and that old machine gives me around 280 mile to E (more than the new one lol) which is acceptable for an old car like that. Please advice, Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your Explorer getting "normal" gas mpg's ? Did you reset the previous owners mpg's and Trip Meters ?

My 2014 AWD, which I just filled up, shows 20.6 mostly highway mpg's and 392 DTE.

It may be calculating based upon previous owners mpg data, or needs more than 60 miles usage to make accurate MPG and DTE calculations after a reset. If the data is not accurate after a few thousand miles, then you might want to start looking for an issue.

Is your Explorer getting "normal" gas mpg's ? Did you reset the previous owners mpg's and Trip Meters ?

My 2014 AWD, which I just filled up, shows 20.6 mostly highway mpg's and 392 DTE.

It may be calculating based upon previous owners mpg data, or needs more than 60 miles usage to make accurate MPG and DTE calculations after a reset. If the data is not accurate after a few thousand miles, then you might want to start looking for an issue.
I reseted the trip A and B just so I can see how many miles a full tank of gas can get me regardless to (Miles to E) reading. I also reseted MPG meter too

Hi, this is my first post here. I bought ford explorer xlt 2018 32xxx mile from carvana yesterday very nice SUV and drives smooth I put gas in it (full tank) and I was surprised it shows only 200mile to Empty. I reseted the the gas economy meters and drove it on the interstate still the same I drove around 60 mile and the gas gauge is little bit above 3/4 but still shows around 140 mile to E. is that normal? is there something wrong?… I just drove the company explorer 2018/2019 right before I purchased this one and gave me over 350 for a full tank of gas but that was 2WD! the funny thing is I have a 98 ford explorer xlt with 230xxx mile and that old machine gives me around 280 mile to E (more than the new one lol) which is acceptable for an old car like that. Please advice, Thanks
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Before you reset everything, do you recall what the average MPG reading was? When you did the reset and took your highway trip, what did the average MPG display show?
After a fuel-up, the DTE or MTE figure that shows is primarily based on the last MPG showing.
If the MPG reading was low, your DTE will also be low. It should improve over time based on your driving habits. Also, an AWD will not achieve the same mileage as a FWD. I would recommend doing a hand calculation the next time you fill up to see how accurate the display is. The true MPG is usually a little lower than what the display shows based on my experience and that of others here.
What level of octane gasoline are you using and is it what is considered 'top tier'?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Before you reset everything, do you recall what the average MPG reading was? When you did the reset and took your highway trip, what did the average MPG display show?
After a fuel-up, the DTE or MTE figure that shows is primarily based on the last MPG showing.
If the MPG reading was low, your DTE will also be low. It should improve over time based on your driving habits. Also, an AWD will not achieve the same mileage as a FWD. I would recommend doing a hand calculation the next time you fill up to see how accurate the display is. The true MPG is usually a little lower than what the display shows based on my experience and that of others here.
What level of octane gasoline are you using and is it what is considered 'top tier'?

Peter
Thank You! the MPG it was variable sometimes go over 20MPG sometimes 15 in traffic I just put regular gas 87. yes I am trying to do hand calculation that why I reseted the trip miles so I can see how many miles I can drive with a full tank. I just don’t know what was the previous driving MPG was because I just got the car. I also noticed when I drove the FWD it kind of faster or throttle response is quicker. today I went to a friend who has 2019 AWD limited his MPG was showing 290 miles to E and his tank was not even full. I guess I just need to wait and see.

When you got the Explorer, the previous owner's average MPG would have been shown in the display before you reset it. The 2019 would have had either a 3.5L V6 or a 2.3L Ecoboost engine which is likely why the difference in response. I think your focus should be on the average miles per gallon display rather than the DTE which gets its info from the MPG.
Please do keep us updated and good luck.

Peter

When you got the Explorer, the previous owner's average MPG would have been shown in the display before you reset it. The 2019 would have had either a 3.5L V6 or a 2.3L Ecoboost engine which is likely why the difference in response. I think your focus should be on the average miles per gallon display rather than the DTE which gets its info from the MPG.
Please do keep us updated and good luck.

Peter
The 2019 I tried (my friend car) was 3.5 AWD which drives like mine but it was showing normal MTE about 290 mile for less that full tank. The other 2WD I tried was 3.5 also which was feel faster. Anyway I will give it try and see.
Thanks

If you get your average MPG up the DTE will follow when you fuel up. I think you're spending too much time being concerned with the DTE figure.
What is your average MPG showing in the display? The only time I ever look at my DTE mileage is after a fill-up.

Peter

IMG_2901.jpeg

IMG_2900.jpeg

Here you go its just doesn’t make sense I have only 103 mile left on a half tank of gas

View attachment 444098
View attachment 444099
Here you go its just doesn’t make sense I have only 103 mile left on a half tank of gas
This makes zero sense to me. I have a 2019 XLT with the 3.5L V6 NA Duartec and with a full tank, I am 460 miles to empty. I have over 40,000 miles on the engine and am averaging 21 MPG over the life of the engine. Something is very wrong/off.

Which engine do you have? the 2.3L or the 3.5L?
I just checked my saved info on Fuelly.com and it shows that my 2017 Platinum (3.5L Ecoboost) averaged 18.4 mpg over the last 10 fill-ups in the 3 years that I had it.
If my calculations are correct, with an 18.6 gallon tank and averaging 16.8 mpg, you should get 312 miles on a full tank.
How many miles have you driven since you filled up to get the tank to the mark it is at now (1/2 tank)?

Peter

This makes zero sense to me. I have a 2019 XLT with the 3.5L V6 NA Duartec and with a full tank, I am 460 miles to empty. I have over 40,000 miles on the engine and am averaging 21 MPG over the life of the engine. Something is very wrong/off.
I thought I should provide some evidence as to my MPG. Here is a photo of my Exploere's FordPass at just over 1/2 tank. It shows 284 Miles to Empty. When I fill, I am anywhere from 425 to 460 miles to empty. The V6 has performed well for us.

8F278217-9873-4FF1-B0DA-F0DD36245D85.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg
IMG_2904.jpeg
This is an update of my case:
the fuel light came one at 50 mile on just little bit under 1/4 tank of gas. as shown in the pics I drove it 239 miles which is more than 200 mile which was shown as MTE when I just put gas. The average Mile per galon also went up to 17.8 while yesterday it was showing 16.5. my question is that going to go up and adjust automatically? Can I wait until it shows only 20 mile to E and put gas should I rely on what the gauge shows or the MTE number?

If your average mpg stays that way or goes higher your DTE will also read higher the next time you fill up.

Peter

If your average mpg stays that way or goes higher your DTE will also read higher the next time you fill up.

Peter
I just put gas (full tank) and noticed the following:
1-the car only took 14 gallons while it was showing 40 mile to E. which means I had 3 gallons left.

2-the mile to E shows 265 now.

IMG_2907.jpeg

If I recall correctly, that display/gauge doesn't take into account the extra gas (reserve) that is in the tank but is still counted in the 18.6 gallon fuel tank. From the manual;
1690211148581.png

Have a look at this thread if you haven't seen it before. How much gas left after the gauge says 0 miles??

Peter

The Explorer alerts you to low fuel before that situation becomes critical. My 2014 dinged the low fuel warning as I was getting near the gas station, and the tank only took about 15.5 gallons. The three remaining gallons would have let me travel lots farther than the DTE number on the instrument cluster calculated/suggested.

The MPG number and the DTE number are estimated based upon the saved data in the PCM. Drive a few thousand miles and see how the numbers change.

The Explorer alerts you to low fuel before that situation becomes critical. My 2014 dinged the low fuel warning as I was getting near the gas station, and the tank only took about 15.5 gallons. The three remaining gallons would have let me travel lots farther than the DTE number on the instrument cluster calculated/suggested.

The MPG number and the DTE number are estimated based upon the saved data in the PCM. Drive a few thousand miles and see how the numbers change.
I've seen my DTE actually go up just after a fill-up.

Peter

The OP's original DTE was likely using the previous owner's low mpg as part of the calculation, but it's improving.
You can see the change in DTE with the latest fill-up in post 15. Went from 200miles in the original post to 265 miles.

200 miles on 18.6 gallon tank = 10.7 mpg
265 miles on 18.6 gallon tank = 14.2 mpg

Quick calculations based on the above posts, ~240 miles with a fill-up of about 14 gallons = ~17.1 mpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back