Vent blows hot | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vent blows hot

So there’s no power getting to the clutch. Has power at the fuse, the fuse is good. I pulled the relay and found a little diagram on the relay. It looks like pins 3 and 4 are supposed to supply power to the clutch. And the slot for pin 4 in the box has nothing in it for that pin to go into. Is that slot supposed to be blank?

Are you working with the WOT relay, which is the one nearest to the AC clutch? There should be four wire terminals going into the connector of that relay. Two are trigger wires, and two feed the load/clutch. In normal operation, the power goes through the relay to the clutch, so both of those wires with the relay plugged in, should test as powered. The trigger wires are for cutting power to the clutch, the computer/PCM sends a trigger signal when the throttle is near WOT.

Make sure all four terminals inside the connector are there, and engage the relay terminals fully. It is not uncommon for the terminals to back out of a connector, losing contact with the other terminal halves.

I’m working with the ac relay in the power distribution box. The relay has 5 prongs.

I’m working with the ac relay in the power distribution box. The relay has 5 prongs.

Swap that relay for the horn relay nearby, assuming your horn works. Swapping relays should be one of the first tests done. It could be simply an old relay.

Yes, the relay has five prongs, but there are only four wires connected to it inside the PDB. Check to be sure all four terminals are there, and that they don't push down at all. If you see all four, gently push them down with a tiny screw driver etc, with less pressure than what installing the relay does.

There should be power on one of those terminals with the ignition on, and voltage from that should reach the AC clutch when the AC is on.

You can look at the relay diagram and figure out which two are the trigger circuit, and test the others for continuity to the AC clutch wire. One should test as no resistance, which will be the input wire at the clutch connector, and the one relay terminal which feeds to it. By process of elimination, you can figure out if power is reaching the relay, and if that is connected to the clutch feed wire.

Back