AC Vents and defrost

JohnH55

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lawrence, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4x4
I've got a 2001 Explorer Sport, over 280,000. I have always had a strange issue with the vents. No matter the setting it's on air will always come out of the defrost and what ever actual setting it's on. For instance MAX AC it will blow half out vents and half out defrost, normal AC is 75% defrost and 25% vent. Even for floor and vent it still hits defrost. I have checked vacuum lines they all look good and I never found a leak. I replaced the vacuum bubble with an OEM Ford part i tested and it holds vacuum at WOT. What in the dash do I need to replace to fix this issue?

Thanks,
John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a 2001 Explorer Sport, over 280,000. I have always had a strange issue with the vents. No matter the setting it's on air will always come out of the defrost and what ever actual setting it's on. For instance MAX AC it will blow half out vents and half out defrost, normal AC is 75% defrost and 25% vent. Even for floor and vent it still hits defrost. I have checked vacuum lines they all look good and I never found a leak. I replaced the vacuum bubble with an OEM Ford part i tested and it holds vacuum at WOT. What in the dash do I need to replace to fix this issue?

Thanks,
John
Did you check the blend Door module?
You did not state, if was manual or auto temp control?

Did you check the blend Door module?
You did not state, if was manual or auto temp control?
I have not checked that. It has a normal temp nob, blue to red so I'd believe it's manual. How would I check the module?

I have not checked that. It has a normal temp nob, blue to red so I'd believe it's manual. How would I check the module?
I could not find a diagram on it.
Search for

Alright I checked the blend door motor and it was functioning correctly.

It's not the blend door, that does hot to cold.

In the how to section is a thread for this,

It's not the blend door, that does hot to cold.

In the how to section is a thread for this,

Thanks Turtle,
I think I'm going to try and use a brake bleed vacuum pump and test around to see if I can force the vent/defrost to move fully to the vent setting.

Back