Automatic Climate Control blowing hot only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic Climate Control blowing hot only

r1cardo97

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey everyone, my '99 EB with ATC blows hot air only; I checked refrigerant levels, compressor works but wont dissengage, when changing temperature on the controls it will blow less hot if I set it to a lower temperature, however it never blows cold air out of the vents. Has anyone experienced something like this? So I can know their experience and possible causes and fixes... I'd be really glad to hear...

Edit: Forgot to say, sometimes ATC will blow air from top vents when "heat" is on instead of blowing thru the floor vents.
Just did the self test thing and got the 024 code, will look for a blend door actuator to buy soon...

r1cardo97 - It may not be the actuator, but rather the blend door is just partially stuck. I had this problem years ago, and used an epoxy designed for plastic to fix the door's pivot points. I suggest checking this out before purchasing the actuator.
Good luck,
stepdadbob

r1cardo97 - It may not be the actuator, but rather the blend door is just partially stuck. I had this problem years ago, and used an epoxy designed for plastic to fix the door's pivot points. I suggest checking this out before purchasing the actuator.
Good luck,
stepdadbob
If I may ask, how did you manage put the epoxy on the pivots? Just thru the glove box or removed the whole dash?
Btw, yesterday after doing the self test thing it started to make a knocking noise and won’t stop, it’s driving me crazy cuz stills knocking while I’m driving even with ATC off…

r1cardo97 - I was able to do it without removing the dash, that's for sure. It wasn't the easiest thing I have done, but it worked, and still is working.
As I remember, I was able to do it from under the dash, but it's been a while. I think I had to remove something to get access to the blend door.
The knocking sound you're hearing is likely the actuator trying to move the stuck door.
I suggest laying down and get under the dash and see what you can see using a good flashlight. The knocking sound can guide you to the exact location, and then you can see what has to be removed to get access to the door.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
stepdadbob

Back