My '05 Explorer has a mystery rain water leak! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My '05 Explorer has a mystery rain water leak!

noreastcarnut

Reaction score
City, State
Rockport Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My 2005 Explorer continues to leak rain water onto the interior floor. It comes under the mat on the drivers side from the fire wall area upper above. I do not see any place open on the outside. It happens when parked or driving. What am I missing?:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you have a sunroof? Also might want to try stock section

Early Super Duties had incomplete windshield sealant beads and the GEM would have issues when they got wet.

Check the windsheld, recheck the sunroof because duct tape is not a great weather resistant seal, and the roof rack rails. Front and rear, those would be the only ingress points i can think of.

Also make sure the entire perimeter seal on the sunroof if covered. Just the visible gap between rubber and sheet metal is not sufficient. Water can wick under the perimeter seal so whatever you use has to cover sheet metal to rubber gap and the rubber to glass transitions.

Ford riveted the plastic roof rails into the wells on the roof. (Brilliant design...) So the wells trap water, dirt, salt, growth, etc and wear away at the roof. Check that out. Our friends had a pristine 2005 Expedition, except the roof, completely rusted out beyond belief. Had the exact same roof setup as the explorers. (and this was 6 years ago)

Ford riveted the plastic roof rails into the wells on the roof. (Brilliant design...) So the wells trap water, dirt, salt, growth, etc and wear away at the roof. Check that out. Our friends had a pristine 2005 Expedition, except the roof, completely rusted out beyond belief. Had the exact same roof setup as the explorers. (and this was 6 years ago)

Hello, that's scary! I think I'll not open the sunroof again and permanently seal it shut. Thanks for the info!

Back