Engine Swap Help

Jacked93

Reaction score
City, State
Parker, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Engine Swap Help, It won't start

Just got done with the engine swap in my 91 sport. I put in a new/used 4.0 in it. Anyway there is a plug on the main engine harness that I can't seem to find a home for. The plug comes out of the wiring harness that runs along the firewall, right where the harness comes away from the firewall,(at the heater box, and directly across from the coil pack) there is a plug that branches out with three wires. I have no idea where it goes. I have a 93 four door and this plug is non existent on it, so I am out of ideas.

The truck doesn't want to start and I am not sure if this plug has anything to do with it or not. The motor cranks over, but I get exhaust out of the intake, seems as if timing is off. It is getting spark and fuel. I am done for tonight, but would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks
Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Come on I would like to have this running this weekend, someone has to know something. :banghead:

Anyone?????

What year did the 4.0 come from?

The guy said it was a 95 or 96, but I don't think so, because it has the aluminum intake on it, not the plastic one.

I am out of ideas, for some reason air is exiting out of the intake. I can't think of anything other than the cam and crank timing are off. Anyone have any ideas???

I bet your cam is 180 off the crank. Pull the timing belt and double check that the dots line up.

-B

I am going to check into this tomorrow, but I am thinking that isn't the problem, cause the guy said this motor came out of a running truck.

Can anyone think of what else could cause air to be forced out of the intake?????

Anyone??? :banghead:

a valve might be stuck making air compressed and the only way out is up? How long did the motor sit? If it sat for a little while with no exhaust or intake manifolds on they will rust up quick. You might end up having to swap the heads from the old motor to the donor motor

Oh and the plug kinda sounds like it has something to do with EGR

The only other time I've had something like this was when the distributor was installed 180 off. But I don't think you can do that on our current ignitions.

-Brad

Back