• Register Today It's free!

K&N air filter

skinz

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I keep hearing a lot about the K&N air filter, can someone tell me why it's so good and what it does for my car. Does it help with gas milleage or something, cause god knows i'll do anything to help with that, haha, thanks for any help you might be able to give, SKINZ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

K&N filters are a much more free flowing filter than the stock ones and allows more air into the intake. They offer increased horse power and acceleration. Also they are cleanable/re-useable (requires re-oiling kit).

just bought one, cant' wait to feel that power, haha

I've run them for years... They add a bit of performance and I never have to buy another one - just wash it out once in a while and re-oil.

Don't over oil - that can affect your mass airflow sensor if it gets coated with oil. That is about the biggest complaint I have heard.

K&N is well worth it just in the fact you use it forever.
With in a few " change intervals " it is paid for.

Just out of curiousity I wonder if anyone has done the before and after on a dyno?

Sure people have....maybe you've heard of them:

Hot Rod
Car Craft
Popular HotRodding
M&FF
Road & Track
Car & Driver

To name a few....

It's just about unanimous across the board, Carb'd, TBI, SEFI, MPFI they ALL have measurable increase in power. Whether it be 3 hp, or 15 hp.....it's there and proven, time and time again.

Ryan

I can't quantify my performance increase, although I know it's there. What I can provide is the increase I've seen in milage. With the K&N FIPK (gen I) my milage increased by approx. 2.5 mpg, city and highway. It has definately paid for itsself in gas savings alone.. I just cleaned and re oild mine a couple of weekends ago, and it was FILTHY!!

I've put a K&N on both my 5.0 and my old 4.0 OHV and noticed the same thing in both applications. I never noticed an increase in power, but I did notice that the shift down as quick when passing. Also, when accelerating and downshifting, the engine has more of a "growl" to it, which I definitely can't complain about. Gained .5 mpg with the 4.0 and 1 mpg with the 5.0. It is a worthwhile investment, but I am really interested in getting an entire intake kit.

the dyno sheet that K&N sent with my Gen2 FIPK was less than a 4hp gain for my workhorse 4.0L ohv. still though, the mileage increase (mainly on the highway) and the fact that it is cleanable/reusable make it a totally worthwhile investement. i have to get it up to high rpm's to notice a power increase but my engine is louder and i kinda like that too.

the MAC intake is pretty similar... it has a chrome intake tube instead of a plastic one like the K&N and Volant kits. there's been discussions regarding the pro's and con's of this. chrome tubes transfer heat from the engine more than plastic and the general idea is that colder air is better (since the O2 is denser). also, i've read threads where people had installation issues with the MAC (minor ones but issues nonetheless). for show purposes the MAC is definately better looking but if you don't plan on being parked with your hood open the K&N is a better choice IMO.

is there any difference betweent the K&n tube and stock? would it be worth it just to buy a Cone and put it on the stock tube or do they all kinda play their own part for performance.

I've had mine for five years now and it's paid for itself several times which alone makes it worth getting. Whe I first installed it I was told to pull the neg batt cable to reset the computer to account for the increased air flow in order to prevent the turbo lag like symptoms.

I agree with these guys, the investment alone is good enough, the growl is nice, the power gain was noticable and the mileage has gone up. Still haven't pulled the bat. cable tho.

I have the MAC intake, and what Raginraj is correct. I did have some minor issues
with the instalation. That thing is so dang georgous. The MAC filter in physical aperiance is identical to the K&N, it would only be an assumption that it flows indetically.

the best thing about the K&N is the 1mpg increase on my X(V8). I do remember on a 93 mustang GT the dyno read 3hp more. While people my laugh at that, remember, that is 3 hp for 30 bucks! that is better than most chips (excluding the apten) that mostly change timing or shift points to make you feel like your car or truck has more hp.

taknitezX2 said:
is there any difference betweent the K&n tube and stock? would it be worth it just to buy a Cone and put it on the stock tube or do they all kinda play their own part for performance.

I have a KKM intake which is a cone on the stock air tube. They claim the stock ones on the Xs are not that restrictive and the difference between them and an aftermarket tube is neligible. I have noticed HP increase and about 1MPG increase in mileage. The growl is nice too.

Back