battery dead, ABS light constantly on, possibly water related | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

battery dead, ABS light constantly on, possibly water related

Jev

Reaction score
City, State
North Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XL
Hi All,

I have a '94 explorer XL.

I had a 6 hour drive in heavy rain, about 10 minutes before the end of my journey I hit some standing water on the road. I suspect this caused water to be splashed into the engine bay, but it could also be the extended drive in the rain.

I parked up (at the shop, 6 blocks from where I live), shut it off for approx 6 minutes, and when I tried to start it up it would barely turnover, the dash lights came on but they were all pretty dim. I got a jump start and drove the rest of the way home.

On the drive home the ABS light was constantly lit, and when I shut her off the cabin lights were still dim.

The day after I had to drop friends to the airport, no chance of starting here again so I got another jump start, before starting the cabin lights were still dim, but they were lit. On the drive the ABS light was still constantly on. I didn't actually test if the ABS worked or not though. The battery gauge flutters as about 50% when the engine is running.

When I finally returned home, I shut it off, and then there was no power what so ever from the battery, none of the dash lights light up, or the cabin light.

The battery is near new, and was tested by kaltire about 4 weeks ago, the said it was perfect.

I suspect a water related short. I checked the cables to the battery and they look good. After the drive back, the negative cable was warmer then the positive.

So, it's out of action, I don't want to drive it for fear that things will get worse.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get the altenator tested

Make sure the battery posts are clean and tightened. Mine had the same problem. The cables were loose and the alternator wouldn't charge the battery, nor would the engine turn. My first clue was the volts gauge in the upper left hand corner of the insturment panel dancing around like a stripper on the dining room table when i rolled the windows down.

I have cleaned the posts, and tightend the connections. I also used a little WD40 on the posts the night it happend to displace any water.

After returning from my second trip the battery was totally dead, which makes me suspect a short somewhere that is draining it.

Also, why would the ABS light be on constantly?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

Hi Guys,

I looked at my battery again, (I had already cleaned the posts and cables) and I found that one of the crimped connectors was loose on the positive side. It was covered by one of those PVC boots so I hadn't noticed it previously. I removed the boot, and pulled of the crimped connector, cleaned it off with some carb leaner, recrimped and reconnected. My explorer started on the first turn. The ABS light is also no longer lit constantly.

So, every body says it. Make sure your posts and onnectors are clean. They seemed to be good, it was only after tugging at them that I noticed there was something wrong!

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

-Jev

and another note on top of that, i work at advance auto and we see alot of cars come in with the abs light on and its the alternator, especially if it is a combo of battery and abs lights this is a sort of "code" letting u know the alt is bad

Check belt tensioner too!

If your belt tensioner gets loose the abs light will come on prob as a result of alt not charging battery. Fairly cheap to replace.

Back