• Register Today It's free!

93 Exp - gas gauge doesn't gauge

kcarrier

Reaction score
City, State
Manassas, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Recently my gas gauge died. It first stopped working about a month ago, but would come back after I drove a few miles. The 'few' miles got to be more and more, and now it never works.

Any clues?

Kevin

Did it die stuck on "E"? It is probably the "float" which is a very common problem. There is a float in the gas tank that is by the fuel pump assembly. The gas gauge uses this float to determine the lvl of gas. Very commonly this float will wear out and fill with gas and sink. There are two ways to fix it:
1) drop the gas tank and get to it that way, or
2) cut an access panel above the fuel tank/pump and work from up there.

Oh, and I've heard tales of the float not being a separate replacement item. In other words, you may find that you have to replace the whole pump, just to get a new float. I hope that's not true though...

If it is stuck on "E" my guess would be the float as well. I had the same symptoms when my float went on my 94 a few years back. Simple fix...and you can buy the float separatly...which is what I did. If your truck has the original fuel pump in it though, you might consider just replacing the whole unit now, instead of spending 3hrs replacing the float this weekend only to find yourself dropping the tank again in 6mos because your fuel pump goes out.

Easy job for any BYM or do-it-yourselfer. Just remember (don't fill up) run your tank down as close to empty as possible, that way your not siphoning gas out to drop the tank. No need to cut threw the cab from the inside, the gas skid and tank come out farily easy, just a matter of a few bolts and your fuel lines.

Back