• Register Today It's free!

Gas Gauge question

gunner19923

Reaction score
City, State
levittown pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 eddie bauer
My gas gauge never seemed to work so i changed the fuel pump and what not. it still didnt work so i decided to buy a after market gauge and was wondering if i could just wire it into where the old gauge was since that gauge is already beat??!!??!!??!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the gauge isnt the problem, its the little sensor inside the tank, and the shape of the tank. whenever you go up or down hill, or on an incline, it will throw off the reading of the gauge. nothing really you can do about it being that its the shape of the gas tank that makes it so innacurate.

and if the needle on the cluster just sits on "e" then its not the pump its the sender as stated above. The factory floats for the sender develop pin holes and fill with fuel causing them to be nonboyent. Replacing the sender will most likely fix the problem. They run about 60 to 100 bucks

good point something, and you can get the piece for around that price but then you will have to decide if it is worth taking your rig apart to get to in the fuel tank just to replace it.

well as long as your have the fuel line tool the job is overall easy i was able to do it in my driveway with the truck driven up a makeshift ramp.

Back