Gas Gauge issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas Gauge issues

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
I have a 1994 explorer, the gas gauge was working just fine until recently. When i start it the gas gauge needle goes to full. It will some times go down until the correct amount of fuel is shown or it will go to empty. Some times when driving it will change as well. If i turn it off and restart it, it will sometimes change position as well. Any clues as to what might cause this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely the sending unit is bad. Sometimes it could have a bad float. Either way, all of these parts are replaceable but you will have to remove the gas tank unless you decide to cut the floor.

i really dont like the idea of cutting a whole in the floor. how hard is it to drop the tank? i have the gas tank skid plate to.

Another thing to try is using some spray contact cleaner on the electrical connections at the plug-in above the tank. If the float is bad, the gauge will usually read empty, not full. It seems to me that you have an electrical issue, whether it's the sending unit in the tank, or, more likely, a bad connection somewhere between the sending unit and the gauge. Good luck with it, and if you do have to drop the tank, make sure it's as empty as you can get it first!

I agree, the fact that it randomly moves around doesn't sound like a float problem. You don't want to remove the gas tank. It will turn into a nightmare FAST. I made the mistake once. Here in MN its not as simple as putting a jack under it and unbolting it. You need to cut it out, and it will most likely ruin anything connected to it. You will need new bolts, new straps, often a whole new skid plate, new gas lines, etc. Trust me, you want the access panel. You are not cutting the floor, its under the drivers side rear seat. Its easy to cut, and is there if you ever need it again.

I agree, the fact that it randomly moves around doesn't sound like a float problem. You don't want to remove the gas tank. It will turn into a nightmare FAST. I made the mistake once. Here in MN its not as simple as putting a jack under it and unbolting it. You need to cut it out, and it will most likely ruin anything connected to it. You will need new bolts, new straps, often a whole new skid plate, new gas lines, etc. Trust me, you want the access panel. You are not cutting the floor, its under the drivers side rear seat. Its easy to cut, and is there if you ever need it again.

Road salt makes everything under there 100 times harder!!! I cut the floor pan im my bronco, b2, and now my explorer. it makes things so much easier!!! just go slow plan your cuts. if you have excess to a good air compressor, a die-grinder makes quick work of it

Yep, it took me less than half an hour to take out the seat and cut the access panel. I doubt you could drop a tank replace everything and get it together in a weekend on an MN truck. I just used an angle grinder, and made sure not to cut too deep.

I have dropped the tank on a 94 limited we had come in to a shop I worked for, what a giant pain in the @$$!!

There was about a 1/4 tank left in the one we worked on, and it made the job unstable.
It was myself and another guy, and the truck on a 4 post lift.

If you do go this route, get a transfer pump to suck the fuel out of the tank into something else.

Back