LED Tail and Turn Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Tail and Turn Lights

I want to change my front turn signals and rear turn/brake lights to LEDs. If I change out one of them front or rear the turn signals are really fast. If I change out both of them front and rear, the turn signals don't work at all. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the electrical resistance of the bulb new bulb assemblies aren't within spec. I've heard you can try different flasher relays for different speeds. But it may be that the LED assemblies aren't compatible.

I could always be wrong though...

its the bulb-out circuit. when you put on your turn signal and the proper amount of current does NOT run through the wires, the system blinks the flashers faster to warn you that you have a bulb out. your prob getting that annoying buzzing sound when you take all the bulbs out, thats when the system detects very little to no current. the incadescent factory bulbs pull 2.0 amps each when on. LEDs pull milliamps!

ive been trying for a while to fix this problem because i have my factory wires running into a custom circuit of relays instead of bulbs. ive bought the mechanics manual but the circuitry and diagrams dont show you the circuit clearly or where it is located.

i figure a quick solution to this problem would be to wire a resistor (from radioshack) in PARALLEL with each LED. this would allow the small amounts of current to run through the LED as needed but then have the more needed amount run through the resistor, so that it doesnt blink fast.

according to my calculations, i figure you should start out with a 12 ohm resistor and if its still fast slowly work down to a 6 ohm resistor but no less or you might blow a fuse. ive had a long day at work today, so please check my math!

Ron Francis' Wire Works has a module that will work, $40.00, but may not in your application.

There is another used on bikes, smaller, same price, I can't think of the name of the unit. Check out LEDs on the Web.

BUT, you will need more than the resistors, you will need a small circuit to adjust the current levels as stated before.

Look it up...

Good Luck,

woah woah guys theres probably a simple $7 fix to this problem.

go to autozone and buy a Variable Load Flasher Turn Singal for your truck. It goes in the Fuse panel on the inside. the factory one is a thermal kind, the new one will probably work for you, it did for me when i had all led lights

my '99 and prob all the newer explorers have the turn signal flasher mounted under the steering wheel instead of the fus box or inside the actual steering column

So if I put the new flasher in, No Resistors, and I can go back to bulbs if I want?

isn't that what I suggested?

I second the flasher solution!

OK here it is, now what do I replace it with.

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

go to autozone and find one with the same looking prongs but the one from autozone must be a VARIABLE LOAD ELECTRONIC FLASHER. this will work with bulbs or leds, the bulbs will flash faster if you go back to them...but all is good if you buy a new flasher
sorry Alec that is what you suggested first my bad i can't read very well :)

Flasher Location?

Originally posted by 2K1Xplorer
OK here it is, now what do I replace it with.

2K1Xplorer, where was the location of the flasher?
I also have a 2001 Sport and need to replace the flasher.

EliteConcept said:
go to autozone and buy a Variable Load Flasher Turn Singal for your truck

Got a part number?

wow hello 2003

Back