Applying Touch-Up Paint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Applying Touch-Up Paint

I have various scratches spread out across the body of my beloved 02 xls. after ordering touch up paint in a "Harvest Gold" color and applying to a more obscure area of a scratch, it occured to me that there is no obvious, sure-fire way of pulling this off and making it look seemless. Even after thoroughly shaking up the paint, there is a slight discolorment. Moreover, they give you this p.o.c. little brush to apply it with that leaves brush-stroke marks. any ideas? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use a toothpick to get into the scratch itself. The brushes are relatively useless. Once the paint dries, use the clay bar to smooth out any over-touch-up on the areas surrounding the scratch.

sounds pretty effective, but wuts this clay bar? was i supposed to get one when i got the paint?

It is a detailing product that you can buy at any local auto shops. I think the most common one down here is Mother's but there are all kinds of brands.

using the brush dab the paint on the scratch so it builds up in the scratch. it will take time on a long scratch. make sure the paint is above the factory level. After the touch up is dry use fine sand paper to bring the paint down to the origanal paint level. you may have to do it a couple times to get it level.

Tim

sand paper sounds sketchy, r u sure? cuz i used a scotch brite pad on a piece of egg yoke that got stuck on my hood, and u can still see the scratch it left. so far its lookin like im gonna pick up a clay bar

for brushes, you can get a high dollar " squirl tail " brush from a auto body supply shop or some auto parst stores.

I would just go to a hobby shop or an arts and crafts store and get some fine brushes.

Clay bar and wet sanding & buffing are both affective, but neither will yield spectacualr results.

a'right im probly going to detail on friday, if i can remember where i even put the paint, i'll make sure to let u guys kno how it goes. thanks, and im still listening if theres anymore ideas, but so far it sounds like this fine-bristled brush will do the trick

Hey, just wondering how it all came out? Haven't heard any results...hope you didn't get mad and sell the X ;)
Touch ups are always hard to get just right. Even if you get the basic paint on there you still need to put clear coat on top or it won't look right. Just one more step to add to the misery?! Let us know.................
Ken

Back