replacing a4ld governor thru extension housing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacing a4ld governor thru extension housing?

kdhsava

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville, Calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 bronco 2 4wd
just wanted to get confirmation on this. can you replace governor on 1987 bronco2 2.9 4wd by just dropping the extension housing?
reason Im asking is a local mechanic told me i would have to remove center support, speedometer cable, tilt the transmission, and a couple other things to get at the governor. Just wandering if anyone out there has any helpful tips? thanx in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you remove the t-case you'll see it is accessable. I have done it, it is not too difficult, just be sure not to drop the bolts/ parts down into the pan.

thanx,
been in garage.pretty new at this kinda thing(transmission work) but im a determined DIY. So far my lucks been pretty good.
right now i have the transfer case unbolted from tranny and have it about a half inch apart, do i just keep going until it comes apart or do i have to disconnect driveline?

You will need to disconnect the drive shaft first. You will need to do this. Use a 12 point 12 mm wrench on the 4 bolts for the rear. Be careful, the transfer case is heavy.

Place a floor jack, or transmission jack underneath the transfer case, and slowly pull it out. Make sure that you have no obstructions such as the driveshaft, wiring, cables, etc. that will be in the way. It will make your job easier to drain out the fluid first so that it will be lighter, and not spill out on the floor (or on you).

thanks

thanks everyone for all the help. just got thru taking off driveshaft and transfer case, can see governor now but too dark will get at it tomorrow.
thanks again. I probably wouldnt of have attempted this project without reading and learning from this forum.:)

Back