• Register Today It's free!

Intake and exuast...

playtilithrtz

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
hey, guys realitly new to the boards, but not new to modding cars(foreign) but trucks yes.
Just a few questions, where did youi guys purchase intake systems for the explorer? and what brand did you buy?
Also exuast systems.... should i just go custom, or get that magnaflow system, or should i go customs with the 40 series magnaflow?
Also what is the difference between the series mufflers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i went to pepboys and got a 30 dollar 360 degree air filter thats pretty much as good as a k&n but maybe not a perfect replica.. does the trick though... better gas mileage and u can hear it breathe... pretty much as long as it is a cone-shaped large one that lets alot of air thru u should be good to go... as far as exhaust goes, flowmaster 40 is wut i have on my v6 and its not too shabby... if u want a sound clip let me kno... pretty much anything will sound the same so i suggest getting a muffler and just have a shop weld it in the stock location

so you got an aftermarket muffler on the stock piping?

yea but i cut the tip off the end where it makes the turn and made a 45 degree magnaflow tip out one side... if u want my vid ill send the link

Do you have the V6 or the 8? I have the 4.6L and I'm running with a 40 series flowmaster and a K&N FIPK. Made a big difference in performance and throttle response. Sounds awesome too!

Do you have the V6 or the 8? I have the 4.6L and I'm running with a 40 series flowmaster and a K&N FIPK. Made a big difference in performance and throttle response. Sounds awesome too!
I'd love to hear it.

I don't have any method of doing it. Wish I did

i have a six banger...
bigapple your exuast sounds good, what did you go with again?

go with flowmaster 50 series and a k&n fipk kit. just did both in the last week on my truck and its great.

i have a six banger...
bigapple your exuast sounds good, what did you go with again?

well it took me a long way to get there because i was stuck between either turndown or run to the back and i decided to run it back.. sounds much better... but basically cut ur muffler out with a sawzall on each end and keep the stock piping cuz ull need that bolt flange to connect it to the cat... get a muffler shop to weld it in for u and the sound should be very very similar to mine... good luck

now convince me why i should go with a catback system such as Gibson, or flowmaster or one of those companies.

convince you? just go to your local muffler shop order a flowmaster 40 or 50 series muffler, have them put it on and love it. you will save atleast 200-300 dollars and get the same performance with better sound. if you want to go crazy order a magnaflow tip through them also.

i agree with sledneck... buying a whole system is good cuz u get it all, but thats only if money isnt the issue... u save much more money and get the same sound out of getting just the muffler... the muffler is the main sound-maker, not the piping

Back