• Register Today It's free!

Is regearing really that hard?!?

AMMO_HOOAH

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ex V8, AWD XLT
This is half rant half question. I started getting quotes to regear the whole truck, and they want $800+ labor only! :eek: I've read a couple of how to threads on the subject, and it really doesn't strike me as hard. Maybe time consuming, but not hard. Tell me what you think on subject. BTW this is my Daily Driver/ Weekend 4X4, so a lot of downtime is kinda out of the question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If this is your first time, I'd suggest having some one experienced to at least watch over you.

Regearing is time consuming, not hard -- you have to install, check, remove, add more shim, install, check, remove, more shim or less shim, and so on. I'm sure you've already know this, but for future readers, there are also a few special tools required to regear.

I taught myself how to regear and have done Dana's and Ford 9 inch axles. It takes time. I got a depth gauge and went to work. There are things you can do to make it go faster.

On a dana, replace the bearings and ream out the old ones to use as test fit bearings so you don't have to press on and pull off the bearings when you are adding or removing shims during the set up. There are a lot of tricks like this, you just have to look around.

I asked myself the same question a while back and decided to go for it. We have a very very very limited number of specialty auto shops in Ottawa and I figure I could do just as a good of job as the auto shop that says they can do it but has only done it once in the last two years. We have the advantage of being able to take extra care and time at no cost. The only thing I have left to figure out is how to determine the carrier bearing pre-load. Once I get a good grasp on that I I'm gonna order the gears.

Agreed, do a lot of research first. Don't skimo by buying a cheap brand of gears. Ford gears installed correctly don't make noise, many others will make noise even when done right. Good luck,

I will be tackling one of these jobs next week, first timer, Install 4.56 gears, aussie locker, drum to disc conversion, complet master rebuild. Im in for it, but ive printed about 100 pages off of this site to help out, there is alot of help in here....thank god

Thanks for the input guys. I know if I could find someone for closer to 500 total I'd say to heck with it, but that 800+ blew my mind. I might just end up doing the rear with the 37s and wait a month for the front. Just so long as I can keep myself from being drawn to 4wheel I'll be good LOL.

Thanks for the input guys. I know if I could find someone for closer to 500 total I'd say to heck with it, but that 800+ blew my mind. I might just end up doing the rear with the 37s and wait a month for the front. Just so long as I can keep myself from being drawn to 4wheel I'll be good LOL.

you cant wait you have to do them bolth at the same time other wise it will mess things up because the gears will be spinning at different rates....bad on the trannd and transfer case.

you cant wait you have to do them bolth at the same time other wise it will mess things up because the gears will be spinning at different rates....bad on the trannd and transfer case.
He has a manual 4406. In addition, the front driveshaft can also be removed disconnecting the two axles.

He has a manual 4406. In addition, the front driveshaft can also be removed disconnecting the two axles.

Yep, but like I said I would have to really really resist the urge to hit the dirt......unless I do remove the front d-shaft then I wont be tempted to shift hmmmm. :D

Agreed, do a lot of research first. Don't skimo by buying a cheap brand of gears. Ford gears installed correctly don't make noise, many others will make noise even when done right. Good luck,

For example,stay away from Richmond. I setup rears all the time I recommend using Ford gears but if you just have to have aftermarkets then I recommend the Motive gears. They setup very similar.

For example,stay away from Richmond. I setup rears all the time I recommend using Ford gears but if you just have to have aftermarkets then I recommend the Motive gears. They setup very similar.

How are Yukons?

I did a gear swap recently- it is time consuming, I did some things to make it easier.

I swapped my front end pumpkin with a low mileage 4.10 from a junkyard. I swapped it the weekend before I did the rear end. It was more cost effective for me to buy the $200 front diff than to try to move it, regear it and re install it. I ran without a front DS just to be safe while the ratios were different.

My rear end, I didn't setup the gears, but I did every thing else. I pulled the rear end stripped it and took it to a dealer who charged me 2 hours of labor to setup the gears.

I'd say $800 in labor is a fair estimate. The front diff swap took ~6 hours at an unhurried pace since I hadn't done it before. The rear swap took ~8 hours, but I did replace all bearings and seals while I was at it.

ammo, you got pm.

Suscribing...Ill be doing my 8.8 in a month with some help. I was qouted 600+ for front and rear from a 4wheelparts store but they said I would have to leave it there for four days! I think doing it yourself is dooable if you can get a weekend and some help from someone who has set up gears right before.

i think the tools are the main issue on doing gears. its hard to spend that kinda money on guages you might only use a couple times, or once even.

and not to mention a bearing press.......

If you dont feel up to doing the gears yourself, you can pull the axle or diff. and bring it to the shop to save alot on labor charges.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you dont feel up to doing the gears yourself, you can pull the axle or diff. and bring it to the shop to save alot on labor charges.

No joke, I asked one of the places what the difference would be if i could bring in the front off the truck (might be able to swing it when I have it out for the Superlift). They quoted me $1050 for both, $750 for both with front off the truck. I'm thinking about getting some destroyed cv's, tearing them down, so I can just use the outside threaded piece to keep the bearing on tight. Drive it like that until they get the front done, but eh who knows how my next couple of months will work out ($$$$) :confused:

Back