"Regearing" on a budget, some questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Regearing" on a budget, some questions

So Hahns, the 28 Will indeed fit? The 4x4 use is very light, only when I get stuck in my ditch, or in snow for the winter. And a question for everyone, I found plenty of 3.73 Ex's at the junkyard today, but no 4.10's yet. Will I be satisfied with the 3.73 from my 3.27, or should I wait and find a 4.10? Is the 4.10 a great enough difference to wait for? Thanks in advance

So Hahns, the 28 Will indeed fit? The 4x4 use is very light, only when I get stuck in my ditch, or in snow for the winter. And a question for everyone, I found plenty of 3.73 Ex's at the junkyard today, but no 4.10's yet. Will I be satisfied with the 3.73 from my 3.27, or should I wait and find a 4.10? Is the 4.10 a great enough difference to wait for? Thanks in advance
Yes it will. I put my D28 in my dads ranger after I took his D35. The D28 actually has a wider wheel bearing separation than the D35 (which is better). Only thing I'm not sure about is if your rig has front ABS and if it will work with a D28. You will need the D28 and steering components, brake rotors and hubs. The d35 calipers are the same and use the same pads as well. Your driveshaft should have enough extension left in the slip joint to work (the D28 is an inch shorter than the D35 where the driveshaft attaches.), my father's driveshaft was fine. Another plus is the D28 manual hubs are a lot easier to find. Easiest rig to find a 4.10 D28 is an automatic B2, the door code for the axle will be will be "D7".

Thats some great info Hahns, thanks. What about my other concerns, is this going to be worth doing just to move from 3.27 to 3.73, or should I wait it out and find the 4.10? TIA

I would hold out for 4.10, gives you more wiggle room with tire size. From what I've heard finding a 4.10 8.8 is pretty easy in 95+ sploders.

Back