• Register Today It's free!

Prepping for a 3" Body-Lift

hardywo

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT Stick
This time I actually want to plan out a project before diving into it...I'm going to try and get a few friends to help and finish it in one day. I have already ordered the PA-853, and the manual extension, 3700 (because I drive stick like everyone should;)). I know that the bumper brackets don't work out correctly, and I know I've seen the diagrams on here somewhere before, but I can't find them now that I'm searching for them. Can anyone post a link to these, please? I want to fab them up before I even start the lift. Also, I know a few people have successfully remounted their grill guards after a BL...can anyone expand a little on the process...maybe with pictures too? Anything else I should know or have ready before I get started with this? I've already found the Body Lift Guide, and I think that should work for me. I'm just trying to make sure I have everything ready to go before I get started so feel free to throw ideas and suggestions my way. Thanks for the help.

PS-What is the orangish, vertical bar in the middle of the below pic called, and what is it for exactly?
2128625_12_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Im not knowledgeable in Lift But I lowered my car 3 inches in less than 2 hours, very simple. I used wd40 and some acetone my dad got from his lab...

This time I actually want to plan out a project before diving into it...I'm going to try and get a few friends to help and finish it in one day. I have already ordered the PA-853, and the manual extension, 3700 (because I drive stick like everyone should;)). I know that the bumper brackets don't work out correctly, and I know I've seen the diagrams on here somewhere before, but I can't find them now that I'm searching for them. Can anyone post a link to these, please? I want to fab them up before I even start the lift. Also, I know a few people have successfully remounted their grill guards after a BL...can anyone expand a little on the process...maybe with pictures too? Anything else I should know or have ready before I get started with this? I've already found the Body Lift Guide, and I think that should work for me. I'm just trying to make sure I have everything ready to go before I get started so feel free to throw ideas and suggestions my way. Thanks for the help.

PS-What is the orangish, vertical bar in the middle of the below pic called, and what is it for exactly?
2128625_12_full.jpg

That orangish, vertical bar in the middle is what holds your sway bar to the lower control arm. When the vehicle turns and begins to lean over, the sway bar uses the upward force on the outer wheel to lift on the inner wheel, keeping your vehicle more level. You COULD remove it, but I would not suggest you to do such a thing...;)

sway bar connector

Well that makes sense, I don't know why I didn't see it before. The other question is where can I get a longer one? I've seen some other lifted, IFS trucks besides ex's including the one from that pic, and they seem to have longer ones than stock. Does that help with lifting them? Thanks again.

Well that makes sense, I don't know why I didn't see it before. The other question is where can I get a longer one? I've seen some other lifted, IFS trucks besides ex's including the one from that pic, and they seem to have longer ones than stock. Does that help with lifting them? Thanks again.

do you really need longer stabalizer links. the mounts are on the frame and you lifting the body off the frame. the stabalizer bar should stay in the same position.

do you really need longer stabalizer links. the mounts are on the frame and you lifting the body off the frame. the stabalizer bar should stay in the same position.

I dunno - that's why I'm asking. ;) If you look in my signature, I have done various suspension lifts too. I'm thinking it might help with that too.

With a body lift nothing from the frame down will move. So your sway bar and the link will be fine. Also, the sway bar rotates, so longer links would just push up the ends of the sway bar, you wouldn't get any more lift out of it.

Jeff, so when you removed your running boards, what did you do about the remaining strip of holes along the bottom? Did you fill them somehow or just leave them alone? I haven't done anything to them and now a few holes are starting to rust.

But back to the 3" planning- does anyone know where I can find the diagrams for the bumper brackets, and does anyone have pics of what they did to mount their grill guard after the BL? Thanks

Bumping so Jeff might answer...

Hey, just saw your post, sorry about the delay, school has sucked this week. I honestly haven't done anything with my rocker holes yet. They need attention, too. The plan is to tape them up, or use some body filler, and then go over them with some bed liner, most likely Herculiner. I guess they just don't bother me that much to make it a priority, but I don't get much rust either.

with just a torsion twist nothing is lifted really so you wouldn't need to put a longer rod to connect the sway bar. the picture is of an RCD lift which has a drop down bracket, making the sway bar connector reach a lot farther to touch the lower arm.

I got the kit, and everything seems to be there so far...except for the time to install it. I'm not scheduled to work next weekend so hopefully the install will span Friday and Saturday. Does anyone know what the limit of the front drive-shaft is? Is that something I'll have to replace after the body-lift?

A body lift doesn't affect the driveline, you'll be fine.

Hey man, those are some nice shocks you got up front. Whos makes those?

Back