• Register Today It's free!

trac w/manual tranny?

gumby

Reaction score
City, State
indy, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 mountianeer 5.0AWD
were sport tracs available from the factory with manual trannys?
i am currently in a ranger, but with a growing family, four full doors would be ideal. i hafta have a manual tranny though. i HATE autos.

if not, then i would hafta look more into a conversion. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ha, getting your hooked

copy cat

Few and far between. Just like '02 4 doors. Find a Ranger with the 4.0 OHC and get its tranny and everything from it. They're the same thing.

well, im drivin an 02 4dr, 4wd, 4.0/5spd ranger right now. so i guess i have a donor if need be. is there already a plce in the firewall for the master cylinder??

scott this is your fault! :p:

I'm fairly confident there is. All other Exploers had them. I wouldn't see why the trac doesn't.

I just bought a 2003 4x4 5 Spd Sport Trac.. I love the way the tranny shifts real tight, My only complaint is No Cruise Control for the highway.. Since I bought it used I would only guess it is a special order from the factory.. I prefer manual but most prefer auto and it would be hard to sell.. doesnt matter since I'm going to keep it.

There are some out there, but not many. I would have got a manual in my '05 if they were available but by then they were only putting them in 4x2's and it had to be a fleet order I was told.

They do come in a five speed manual. I own an 03 with a manual. it is a xls model so they don't come with cruise control. But, aftermarket cruise is just $300.00 away (installed price). I quickly checked edmunds.com's research section, it shows that the both of the 2002 models came standard with a manual transmission. You can check out all of the model years standard features at edmunds.com. hope this helps.

yup -- we have on 01 4x4 w/5spd and the 4L V6
4.10 (maybe 4.11) posi bought new in Seattle.
130,000 miles on it now.
had the 5spd replaced under warranty at 20k -
slave cylinder went out at 100k.
other than that - IT'S GREAT!

ST 5 speed reliability

Im new and love the sight!! Bought an 03 ST 4x4 with a 5 speed (and cruise) sounds rare according to the topic. Its loaded except for moonroof/leather 58,000 for $11,000 and has a painted leer cap. Feel pretty confident in the deal seems to run great and looks new. Has a tow package as but was concerned with the tranny since I have not seen or heard anything about them bad or good. Any input on the deal or the trans would help.

we have 140k on the 01 - as i mentioned - the tranny was replaced at 20k and slave cylinder at 100k.

towing - frame mounted hitch is a MUST!!!
i've hauled a full 6x12 uhaul from Portland to Seattle, Towed many many big motorcycles (full-dress cruisers), a car trailer with a 2100 lb 1968 Datsun Roadster from Seattle to Phoenix, flat-towed a 63 baja bug between Bakersfield & Phoenix and a couple dozen trips with a loaded 5x10 trailer to the dumps.

I take it very easy pulling away from a stop - pretty much let the engine idle and ease the clutch out - then accelerate moderatly.

The only issue we're seeing now is that it's time for struts & shocks.

ENJOY your ST -- we absolutly love ours!:usa:

Yep, they make them, got one. They only seem to come with lower equipment groups though. Because of the shifter there is no room for the full center console so they come with a short console and cup holders around the shifter (like a manual ranger). But you can find them with Cruise Control, mine has it. If you want a nicer interior you can always swap in Leather Seats, add carpet and an overhead console fairly easy. My original plan was to do this but I have only added the overhead console. I have learned to like the easy to clean, don't worry about getting it dirty rubber floor. Leather seats would be nice, but they have their downfalls too (cold/hot).

Back