SOHC Timing Chain Tensioner Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC Timing Chain Tensioner Questions

Bubbajet

Reaction score
City, State
Kernersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
I have a couple questions regarding my '99 Explorer with 67,000 miles. Out of the extended warranty for the timing chain tensioners due to being more than 5 years old. I plan to schedule a meeting with the Ford Factory Rep about extending the repair as a goodwill gesture.

1. Is the SOHC engine an "interference or non-interference" engine? Meaning if the timing chain slips or breaks, the engine will have or not have piston to valve contact.

2. Sounds like the front timing chain making the noise, but have to check closer before doing the work. How often does the REAR timing chain tensioners go bad? I know the engine has to be pulled to do the rear tensioner.

3. Has anyone had any luck with talking to a Ford Factroy Rep and getting the repair done free with your vehicle being older than 5 years from delivery.

Thanks for the info.

Re #1, it is an interference engine

Post back with your results - I'm interested to see if you get anywhere with that route.

There are two chains on the front of the engine. (Three if you have 4WD.) During the early stages of failure, the front cam chain makes noise at idle while the primary chain makes noise at about 2500 RPM. Failure of either tensioner can lead to interference and additional damage if the engine jumps time.

Replacing the rear cam chain tensioner does not require pulling the engine. However, the engine must be pulled to replace the rear cam chain and guide.

Back