Oil, left side.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil, left side..

NorwegianFord

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '91 XLT
On the left side of the engine, there is a lot of oil/grease around and above the area of the sparkplugs (around all three of them, even though it doesn't show in the pictures). It's been like this as long as I've had the car (and probably a lot longer :) ), but now I would like to know why and try to fix it.. The right side is nice and clean. What should I look for? Any ideas?

Attachments

• m_DSC00295.JPG
    m_DSC00295.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 138
  • m_DSC00304.JPG
    m_DSC00304.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 139

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh man i had the same problem. It was the valve cover gaskets. Its not too hard to do. I did it in like 5 hours. Your just have to take everything apart. If you need any help let me know. Its like 20 bucks for the gaskets.

the drivers side valve cover is easier to change than the passengers side. to do the drivers side though, you have to pull of the upper intake manifold (plenium), and you will have to grab a new gasket for that (it usually comes with the valve cover gaskets)

just basically disconnect all the electrical connectors and label the vaccum lines, and pull off the upper intake manifold. then you have access to the valve cover on the drivers side.

Yea thats pretty much what i did. I had to do both sides tho.
DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

Ok! Thank you! Will buy gaskets! It would be great if i can get back to you if I need help along the way! Have done a lot of work on the car, but haven't done much "inside" the engine yet :) But I really want to learn!

Do I have to disconnect any fuel lines? If, how do I relieve the fuel pressure?

And, since I have to take a few things apart on the drivers side anyway, is there anything I can do about the engines ticking sound? (also on the drivers side) The engine sounds more like a diesel than a gasoline.. :)

Back