Cam install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cam install

Reaction score
City, State
Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited
i bought a e303 cam how hard is the install im used to 4 cyl motors cams in my sr20 were a breeze. any help is welcome

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not too tuff at all. If you have a service manual it should guide you through the process pretty good. It helps to read through it and figure out all of the things you will need like gaskets or special tools. I think that the only extra thing that I needed was a special tool for camshaft alignment but you may be able to get away without using that if you are real careful and mark things at TDC when you take it out. But then I had the engine on a stand when I did it. Doing it with the engine in the truck adds an extra level of pain.

cam%20install_50.JPG

i bought a e303 cam how hard is the install im used to 4 cyl motors cams in my sr20 were a breeze. any help is welcome

Honestly. No BS here.

It would be best to pull the engine out.
Then it is your call how deep you want to reach into your pocket.
You will at the very least want new lifters and springs with that Cam-correct?
That means pulling the lower intake and valve covers.
How about rocker arms? Want to rev above 5k a few times? Best to have rocker studs machined into your heads-
of course, that means new head gaskets-

Not to mention the cam will not clear the front radiator mount very easily-
you need to remove the front timing cover-which means a new water pump is in order, along with hoses.
A new front oil seal is also needed.
You will also crack the oil pan to timing cover seal, be prepared to repair that-

Boy-Just swap the cam they say--

Honestly. No BS here.

It would be best to pull the engine out.
Then it is your call how deep you want to reach into your pocket.
You will at the very least want new lifters and springs with that Cam-correct?
That means pulling the lower intake and valve covers.
How about rocker arms? Want to rev above 5k a few times? Best to have rocker studs machined into your heads-
of course, that means new head gaskets-

Not to mention the cam will not clear the front radiator mount very easily-
you need to remove the front timing cover-which means a new water pump is in order, along with hoses.
A new front oil seal is also needed.
You will also crack the oil pan to timing cover seal, be prepared to repair that-

Boy-Just swap the cam they say--

Plus it's a bad idea to mix a new cam with old cam bearings.

You're slipping Jon. You didn't mention the cam is worthless w/o headers.:p:

ok guess this will wait for a new motor thats the easiest way lol. for now ill just do the msd cap/rotor,wires coils and some new plugs. also i saw on summit ford racing headers and it says for the 5.0 explorer for 250$ but from what i have seen everyone goes with the TM headers. are the summit ones actually bolt on for an explorer here is the link. http://store.summitracing.com/partd...924746+4294840126+4294923429+115&autoview=sku

Back