• Register Today It's free!

5.0 CAMSHAFT change

lowflyingbird

Reaction score
City, State
NewYork
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EX 5.0p
I've looked a bit, but I see no one hitting the topic of the piss poor camshaft put into Explorers. I looked up some cam specs for a potential replacement, and I feel the e303 motorsport cam would be a good choice with its 110 ls. and low rpm torque spec. I just do not undertand why there is a note stating that in Explorers it would not work? Its not a big cam. Any input on this?
Please reply
Thankyou
Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an x cam
It works in my mounty, but a few more cubes
I would think the e cam a perfect choice for 302 also

click the link below for proof

I've had the e cam for a few years now. It works.

John, does your x have the taping sound with the e303 you have?

Definite sewing machine sound. :cool:

It's a totally different sound than just having exhaust alone along. It's beautiful music. :p

I am going to be installing the E303 cam, timing and a waterpump in my 96 engine next weekend.

The Crane 2030, 2031 or TFS1 Along with some Crow cam’s, numbers escape my thou are fairly popular cam upgrades in Australia for the 5.0 Windsor’s with a good set of valve sprigs as well, cause the stock ones are **** and berley good enough for the stock cam.

Jamie.. what all are you doing along with the cam? Rockers and springs?

Just what I thought, it was all a bunch of cam BS

Since I made this post.I though the claim that it would not work in an Explorer was a crock of cam cr-p!! The cam is not that big. I'd actually expect much better performance all around from it ,with better cruise economy that stock cam. I've also seen online that other people also chose it and with good results. I'm not expecting a race motor out of it, just enhanced all around performance. I've built quite a few engines, and from experieence noticed better performance and economy from 108-110 sep cams.Including an old T-bird I had with a 92 Mustang motor w 69 heads, a roller 110 cam Custom grind (given to me) and carbed= 19mpg and great whomp-on throttle performance. Whomped on often to 6500rpm.
Thankyou
Keith

Back