Hi lift jack question for explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi lift jack question for explorers

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
So I was thinking now that I have bigger tires and starting to lift my ex that I should get a hi-lift jack in case somethng goes wrong on the trails. I have looked at the jacks and they look great but I have one big issue. Where the hell do you jack up from? I can't see where you would be able to use it. I saw they had an accesory that attaches to the wheels but if you get a flat tire thats not gonna help you either because you need to take the tire off. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ooo... is it safe to lift the ex by its bumper though?

I think most of the people that use them have steel bumpers and sliders and use them to jack it up, I used mine on my stock rear bumper before I got a tube bumper and it worked.
You can also use it as a winch if you get stuck, which is why I got mine.

ok so it didn't mess up your bumper when you did it? thats just what im worried about. I think I might have to invest in one pretty soon.

it will mess your bumper up you can only really use without wrinklin the hell out of something is on sliders and winch mounts thick metal.

damnit, thats what i was afraid of... If i put a winch mount on front (possibly over the summer) could I just a frame trailer hitch to use as a lifting point for the back? seems like it would work, right?

I've lifted from the hitch with a high lift before, the thing you gotta watch when doin that thou is high lift jacks are VERY easy to tip over, even if you have a big beefy bumper and a nice secure jacking point you must be very careful with that jack! Contained in a hitch receiver the high lift will still easily fall over if you lift both wheels off the ground as the base's are hardly big enough/secure enough to support any side to side load. Also, I've tried lifting my 3/4 and even my 1/2 tons pickup's front wheels off the ground via my bolt on winch bumper and found the weight of the vehicle causes quite a bit of twisting in the frame and bumper mounts so I dont really recommend the high lift for changing flats due mostly for the flexy nature of a 4x4 and the hight you would need to lift the vehicle in order to get the wheel off the ground. I think of a high lift as more of a multitool of four wheeling. If you do need to change a wheel your best bet would be to A: get one of those wheel lifters, lift up flat tire and block axle with wood/jackstand/small abandoned civic or B: carefully lift from one corner at a time with tranny in gear/parking brake applies/wheels chocked. Remember! Safety first!

When using the jack considerable force is present in the jack handle and can do alot of damage to a chin or w/e in the way of the flying handle if your not careful. Also, one time I let go of the jack handle while lowering a vehicle and the jack handle falling carried enough force to release the pin on the high lift allowing it to go down another notch, causing the handle to fly up very powerfully. Then the handle fell down and repeated the motion until the vehicle was on the ground O.O The sploder I was lifting wasent very far from the ground when this happened and there wasent much load on the jack so such an occurance may not usually happen but it's a good idea to make sure your jack handle is secure when working around the jack in a loaded position

On a brighter side, a high lift is an indispensable tool for 4x4'in as you may very well know. I've used it multiple times for getting myself out of high center situations and with the proper accesories it can be used as a makeshift winch/tire lifter. Good for getting tree's under the tires, chassis off of tree stumps and they are just damn cool!

Edit-I'm sure theres more high lift guru's with a hell of a lot more experiance with them than I with some nifty tips for lifting safely, I just dont like seeing a high lift mostly maxxed out with some mean angle holding my rig up while I try to do work around a wheel....damn thing could remove far too many teeth and brain cells

Edit2- Oh yeah XD I've jacked from my sploders front bumper before where the bumper meets the frame rail, It didnt really mess up the bumper but theres nothing really substantial keeping the jack from going out sideways....and I DID put a dent in my hood once when the truck slid back a bit, I was trying to get out of a mucky stuck and it slid back as I jacked slamming the end of the I beam laddar frame thingy into my hood, pissed me off at first but it was the first of many proud dents to come :D

best advice jack on something mounted to the frame hitch sliders winch mount etc. stock bumpers and rocker panels jack at your own risk and beaware of the jack leaning it tends to go one way or the other. JUST JACK IT SAFE

Back