Needed Advice On 4.0 Modifications | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Needed Advice On 4.0 Modifications

my 4.0 would spank a 4.6 explorer before the supercharger got installed though. The v8's only came with around 30hp and 30lbtq more than the 4.0's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've calculated that you have probably got between 12-15k of audio/performance combined i don't mean to be rude or anything but i'm really at a struggling point in my life trying to finish school 24 about to be 25, driving my 3,000 dollar 95 explorer...how old are you and how do you afford such things EVLSPL...sorry if i sound like a broken record but i'm just tired of not having nice things as other people in my town that are my age...

i have a 2002 ex 4.0 ....put a throttle body spacer...k & n cold air intake...and recently tuned it...but before the tune it was great off the line ...def notice the throttle response difference....but the tune does make it a little bit better :thumbsup:

I recently replaced my 2004 Explorer with a 4.6 with a 2005 Explorer with a 4.0. I noticed the performance isn't there. Are there any simple bolt-ons that would give me a similar performance? What do you recommend? Also does anyone know the paint code for the gold that is on the bottom of the Eddie Bauer? Thanks.

I am 20 years old, Right now I have a year left of college until I will be certified as a computer programmer, computer repair technician, and software programmer. The one thing that I have less than time is extra money. I get most of my money from hustling, also building enclosures and installing car audio. My dad also helps on some projects.

man that really steams me i'm 24 years old and barely had enough cash to buy a 95' explorer...this is why i don't get girls that much either because ones around here like to see nice cars they don't want to hear the lifters sounding like a diesal while they ride...and like to be pampered dinner dated movies and all that i just cannot afford however i'm willing to bet my right eye and left nut that you have a very attractive girlfriend...enlspl...not tryin to put you down ...i'm just mad cause i'm struggling is all

man that really steams me i'm 24 years old and barely had enough cash to buy a 95' explorer...this is why i don't get girls that much either because ones around here like to see nice cars they don't want to hear the lifters sounding like a diesal while they ride...and like to be pampered dinner dated movies and all that i just cannot afford however i'm willing to bet my right eye and left nut that you have a very attractive girlfriend...enlspl...not tryin to put you down ...i'm just mad cause i'm struggling is all

I aint going to lie, I haven't always had nice things. Growing up I had to help my father cut firewood firewood for our fireplace because we couldn't afford central heating. It just makes you appreciate the things that you get ,unlike people who are born with everything.;)

i have a 2002 ex 4.0 ....put a throttle body spacer...k & n cold air intake...and recently tuned it...but before the tune it was great off the line ...def notice the throttle response difference....but the tune does make it a little bit better :thumbsup:

May i ask, what brand your throtle body spacer is?
I haved a 2005 4.0 EB and im currently looking for performance parts for it, spacer included.

Is it bolt-on only?

:eek:

supercharger with tuner $4,400

http://www.explorerexpress.com/supercharger-0405-explorer-xcharger-sohc-with-tuner-p-788.html

exhaust magnaflow stainless...$500

http://www.explorerexpress.com/exhaust-magnaflow-catback-stainless-0205-explorer40-p-348.html

Headers....$581

http://www.explorerexpress.com/header-silver-ceramic-0205-explorer40-sohc-right-p-329.html

Intake Kit (CAI) $135

http://www.kustomz.com/054004.html

and thats about $5700 dollars ...couldn't find the other items like pulley cams, throttle body, etc...but this gives you a basic idea of how much it really cost to get real horsepower out of a V6...

wasn't trying to be mean earlier just being realistic...or hell maybe you have money i' don't know wish i did though..
Missing the point=Priceless:D

Just F'ing w/ you, Kyle.

A drop in K&N filter made a little SOTP difference in my 03 4.0. I'd like to throw a Magnaflow on it. Hell, I can get Magnaflow HiFlow cats for $55 each on ebay--I want to replace the stock cats w/ those and redo the rest from there back.

Compared to other v6 motors these days (including other Ford v6's), the 3.8/4.0/4.2's don't make the power that the competitors do in stock trim....:thumbdwn:

Why? The stock cats flow exceptionally well.
Really? That would be nice..... Most stock cats, including Ford, have smaller, more compact material that hinders flow. I'm not arguing w/ you, just saying that the Magnaflow HiFlo made a big difference on my 93 Caprice 5.0 (albeit older technology).

I would love to spend the $$ and find out what a less manipulated exhaust setup would do for the 4L (or new 3V for that matter)....every time I get under it to do something, I cringe. :eek: The reality is I probably won't ever do more than a muffler swap since we're looking at getting something else in the next year or so....

the box itself says its for a 2002 ford ranger 4.0 but it bolted right on...ill look at it tomorrow and let you know the brand...

May i ask, what brand your throtle body spacer is?
I haved a 2005 4.0 EB and im currently looking for performance parts for it, spacer included.

Is it bolt-on only?

the box itself says its for a 2002 ford ranger 4.0 but it bolted right on...ill look at it tomorrow and let you know the brand...

Thank you. May i get the brand and model or part number please.

Is this the throtle body?

throttlebody01a.jpg

One more thing...

Can someone help me with this.
I am inquiring around for performance headers and i keep on getting 3 quotes. No EGR, passegerside EGR and Driver's side EGR.
I dont know what an EGR looks like.

I was told its a tube that connects from the manifold, to another part of the engine.
Is it the one i encircled in the passenger's side pic?

driversidemanifold01a.jpg

passengersidemanifold01a.jpg

Thanks.

Pushing v8s aside... 4.6, no bigg deeeeal.

I recently replaced my 2004 Explorer with a 4.6 with a 2005 Explorer with a 4.0. I noticed the performance isn't there. Are there any simple bolt-ons that would give me a similar performance? What do you recommend? Also does anyone know the paint code for the gold that is on the bottom of the Eddie Bauer? Thanks.

Does anyone know the code?

you were far better off with the 4.6 than the 4.0 to begin with i sure wish mine was a v8 i'm just sayin i wouldn't waste the light of day on performance parts for a 6cyl truck...because by the time its all said and done you'd spend maybe 5k or more with things like exhaust, headers, pulleys, throttle body, flash tuner, camshafts, superchargers, my god the list is endless...

Nothing wrong with mentioning this...

Fordguy77, what have you noticed specifically?

I was just looking for a little more guts. It seems a little sluggish compared to the 4.6. It sounds like there could be hope yet. I'm gonna try the exhaust and cai first, and then go from there. And I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find the paint codes. Thanks.

I was just looking for a little more guts. It seems a little sluggish compared to the 4.6. It sounds like there could be hope yet. I'm gonna try the exhaust and cai first, and then go from there. And I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find the paint codes. Thanks.

You mean where the paint code is located? Or, what the code stands for?

Paint code is on the door jam inside the driver's door. Once you get the code, Google it and you should be able to find it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I just needed to know where it was located.

Back