• Register Today It's free!

93 transmission problem

thjranger

Reaction score
City, State
Warrens WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I just had my a4ld rebuilt, and put it in. It works exactly as before, I have checked the easy stuff like vacuum and fluid level. The problem is, it will not shift up higher than 2nd gear. Reverse works fine and 1st and 2nd work fine. I believe the rebuild was done properly, I removed the tranny flushed the lines and reinstalled it. Any help or idea's would be appreciated greatly Thanks thjranger

Howdy. It would be useful to know just what was replaced in your rebuild. Was the valve body rebuilt as well? Was the work done by a shop offering a warranty?

It works fine until it should shift into 3rd? The 1-2 shift is normal?

Welcome to this forum! Do you know if they replaced the servos, bands, modulator, rebuilt the valve body, adjusted the kick down cable, and cleaned the governor? Some shops do a soft parts rebuild, and don't do everything that they should. Was the shop listed on WWW.ATRA.Com?

The rebuild was done by a local college and was a complete rebuild with all parts throughout and all the recommended updates completed. It will shift perfect in reverse 1st and 2nd and then nothing the revs go up and you never get another gear. I was just thinking more about the kickdown cable tonight at work because I had an 89 Mustang (same tranny) with the same problem and that was it. I need to check that out some more tomorrow. Any other idea's would be great and helpful. If this does not help I will try to round up a pressure gauge next I guess? Thanks THJ Ranger

Back