FINALLY!!! New Tires, Rotors and Springs. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FINALLY!!! New Tires, Rotors and Springs.

Kovalchuk

Reaction score
City, State
OTTAWA, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Loaded
I finally completed my tire project!

Here's a pic of my Explorer with new OEM rear springs:
IMG_2401.jpg

Here's a pic of the Explorer with a supposed 2.25" front coil spring lift... in fact it turned out to be about 1.6"
IMG_2722.jpg

And here is my baby with some new rubber on her... I absolutely love the tires so far. Very little highway road noise and I think they look spectacular. They are 265/75/16's. I also have some new drilled rotors and ceramic pads... stopping power has increased dramatically and continues to get better daily.

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

Altogether I am very pleased with the result... although I wish I had a tad bit more lift up front. Next project on the list is getting my calipers painted. I already repainted all my pillars and my back step, window latches and wiper holder.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those really feel up the fender wells. I never cared for white lettering, but other than that, I think it looks great!

Nice and chunky! Have you considered painting the rims black? Would look awseome. At full compression on the rear, does the body work hit the tire at all?

I just done a quick Photoshop job on the tires to see what it looks like without the black side out. I think it looks better, but in the end, it's your truck so do it whatever way makes you happy. It looks great regardless!

IMG_2727.jpg

I just done a quick Photoshop job on the tires to see what it looks like without the black side out. I think it looks better, but in the end, it's your truck so do it whatever way makes you happy. It looks great regardless!

I'm a brand *****... but at least I can admit it! :)

LOL! Admitting it is half the problem! :p:

Nice and chunky! Have you considered painting the rims black? Would look awseome. At full compression on the rear, does the body work hit the tire at all?

Nothing at the back yet... have hit some speedbumps at decent speeds and nothing rubbed. The front had some rubbing... towards the front bumber I was easily able to zip-tie to avoid rubbing. However... to the back of the front tires was more difficult and I still get a little rub. No U-Turns for me!

Altogether I am very pleased with the result... although I wish I had a tad bit more lift up front. Next project on the list is getting my calipers painted. I already repainted all my pillars and my back step, window latches and wiper holder.

i work at an autozone and everything ull need for this job is provided there... get the engine coating primer, brake cleaner, heavy grit sandpaper, and the engine coating or caliper coating of ur choice of color... spray with the brake cleaner and let it dry, then hit it with the sandpaper, and then do 2 to 3 coats of primer and then 2 to 3 coats of ur color

i went with silver and ford blue and it came out great... i did this about a year ago and its still solid and not chipped

2456765_47_full.jpg

2456765_50_full.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

That looks much better (IMO). In fact, so much so, that I ordered my new tires today. Hercules Terra Trac A/T, 265/75/16, and I'll get them mounted with the writing on the inside.

i work at an autozone and everything ull need for this job is provided there... get the engine coating primer, brake cleaner, heavy grit sandpaper, and the engine coating or caliper coating of ur choice of color... spray with the brake cleaner and let it dry, then hit it with the sandpaper, and then do 2 to 3 coats of primer and then 2 to 3 coats of ur color

i went with silver and ford blue and it came out great... i did this about a year ago and its still solid and not chipped

That looks badass... I was actually looking at duplicolor brush kits as I didn't want to get too involved in removing the caliper and re-installing it. Yours looks so damn good though... that is what i will do. I figured spraying would turn out better. I just have to choose a color and hopefully get on that in the upcoming week. I wanted to do lime green but any association to a ricer will make me cry:(

Looks Beautiful man! I really want some mud terrains for mine but I'm kinda weary. How serious would the rubbing be on a full u turn. Pics maybe?

Im a fan of white letters... My tires have the letters in when I bought the X.. always planed to turn them back out... just need $100 to get it done and its not on the top of my list.

I am a fan of black wheels though... here is a quick photoshop I did
(not a perfect job but will give you an idea...)

ExplorerBlackWheels1.jpg

good work dude
Scotty

The black wheel Photoshop got me to thinking. Those wheel would look great with a black wrinkle or matte black finish, so I cooked up another pic.

IMG_2728.jpg

The black wheel Photoshop got me to thinking. Those wheel would look great with a black wrinkle or matte black finish, so I cooked up another pic.

IMG_2728.jpg

I like it. You've had more photoshop practice then me...

IMG_2728.jpg

Nice photoshop man...

Do me a favour and leave the white lettering on the tire and use the black matte finish on the rim. Thanks.

Curtis,

I started out just teaching myself how to use PS. There are a lot of things I can't do, but stuff like this is simple once you learn. The method I used was to zoom in to each wheel and highlight with the magic wand while holding the conrol key. I highlight the outer edge of the rim first and work my way in until the entire rim is highlighted including the holes. Then you go to image adjustments and select the Brightness/Contrast function. It only allows you to adjust to -100 or +100. I adjusted the brightness to -100 and then performed the function again and adjusted to -50 to get those results. I still consider myself a PS noob and there might be an easier way, but that has always worked for me. Its harder when the tires have a lot of tire shine because when you highlight the wheel, it sometimes highlights a portion of the tire if the sun is reflecting.

Kovalchuk,

here is your requested pic.

IMG_2729.jpg

Curtis,

I started out just teaching myself how to us PS. There are a lot of things I can't do, but stuff like this is simple once you learn. The method I used was to zoom in to each wheel and highlight with the magic wand while holding the conrol key. I highlight the outer edge of the rim first and work my way in until the entire rim is highlighted including the holes. Then you go to image adjustments and select the Brightness/Contrast function. It only allows you to adjust to -100 or +100. I adjusted the brightness to -100 and then performed the function again and adjusted to -50 to get those results. I still consider myself a PS noob and their might be an easier way, but that has always worked for me. Its harder when the tires have a lot of tire shine because when you highlight the wheel, it sometimes highlights a portion of the tire if the sun is reflecting.

Nice job man...I need to practice :cool:
My X is black so I was thinking I'll play with a picture of mine... Id like to spray the spokes black but leave a silver ring maybe... I dunno, I'll see what I can come up with.

Hey Kovalchuk, I vote for the last pic... black rims, white letters out...

Hey Kovalchuk, I vote for the last pic... black rims, white letters out...

Yea I think it looks great too... especially the flat black. Hmmm... more and more projects for me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but those side moldings, fender trim pieces, and bumpers sure would look good if you Rhinolined them to go with the flat black wheels. :D

Back