FINALLY!!! New Tires, Rotors and Springs. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FINALLY!!! New Tires, Rotors and Springs.

I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but those side moldings, fender trim pieces, and bumpers sure would look good if you Rhinolined them to go with the flat black wheels. :D

i like this idea... if u try putting a heavy primer on ur plastic u mite be able to buy a can of brushable herculiner that goes on pretty nicely... itd give it a pretty good touch... if not, u can always fall back to the krylon fusion black

That looks badass... I was actually looking at duplicolor brush kits as I didn't want to get too involved in removing the caliper and re-installing it. Yours looks so damn good though... that is what i will do. I figured spraying would turn out better. I just have to choose a color and hopefully get on that in the upcoming week. I wanted to do lime green but any association to a ricer will make me cry:(

well ive done a few caliper jobs for some of my friends and ive come to a few conclusions... the brush kit that we sell at autozone isnt as good as buying primer and color in cans and using sandpaper and brake cleaner to get the caliper ready... all i did was simply trashbag my rotor to prevent any color leakage... any minor overspray on the rotor will wear away once u start driving so thats not a worry... any more questions just let me know... and ricer associations are never good haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty nice.

I love the tires!

I would hate it every time the tires rub against the molding! I couldn't stand it.

Would it help you in U turns if you put extenders on your wheels?

Or whatever it is called, spacers, to extend your wheels out an inch or two?

I darkened the trim pieces up. I'm really diggin' it. It's subtle, but there is definitely a difference. With the moldings darkened, it matches the window trim better. I still say DOWN WITH WHITE LETTERING! LOL!

Before:
IMG_2728.jpg

After:
IMG_2730.jpg

If you want me to redo them with the white lettering, I can.

I still say DOWN WITH WHITE LETTERING! LOL!

I totally agree with a lack of white lettering. WHITE LETTERING is for TRUCKS that say "I can eat your little ricer for lunch". Black walls out all the way!!!

After:
IMG_2730.jpg

If you want me to redo them with the white lettering, I can.

Cool man.

I don't like the gloss black trim with the flat black rim though. The flat black rim is actually really nice looking though... definitely an option.

Has anyone here left their trim stock colour with a gun-metal rim??? I am thinking that would be a decent match.

I totally agree with a lack of white lettering. WHITE LETTERING is for TRUCKS that say "I can eat your little ricer for lunch". Black walls out all the way!!!

I don't know man. I am proud that I own a Ford truck... so I don't de-badge it. I am also proud i own the BFG MT... thats why I let everyone know.

If I had cheaped out and got the Dunlop MT or Roughrider MT... I would definitely be using the black wall!

I don't know man. I am proud that I own a Ford truck... so I don't de-badge it. I am also proud i own the BFG MT... thats why I let everyone know.

If I had cheaped out and got the Dunlop MT or Roughrider MT... I would definitely be using the black wall!

I agree with you about being proud and wanting to show off. I just don't feel like being a rolling billboard. My X still has badges and they probably won't come off, but advertising components that I have on my X, the closest I come is having an "AeroTurbine" exhaust sticker on my laptop and a "K&N Performance Filters" sticker on my desktop screen. I leave the billboard work for the guys that get paid for it.

Just a matter of opinion, keep up the work though...Looks good (better if black out, but still good).

If you did do "Rhino" or "Line-X" to anything on there, I might suggest some wheels for you...the American Racing Teflon coated series...Don't remember the model numbers, but they have some good looking wheels in black that would match.

I would be interested in seeing any effect on gas mileage these tires may have,

Please share with us your MPG data next time you fill up and what you usually get!

I would be interested in seeing any effect on gas mileage these tires may have,

Please share with us your MPG data next time you fill up and what you usually get!

Will do man.

For those of you interested in seeing how much space I had at the rear... here are some pics. I have about 100lbs. of camping and fishing stuff in the trunk in order to weigh it down a bit.

As well, I was messing around yesterday and it seems my zip-tying has completely eliminated all rubbing. I parallel parked a few times and took two separate U-turns while cranking the wheel 100% and I heard zero rubbing. So looks like all is well!

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

What is there to zip tie? I don't understand how using those zip ties can prevent rubbing, I'm lost:scratch:

looks good keep up the good work

What is there to zip tie? I don't understand how using those zip ties can prevent rubbing, I'm lost:scratch:

Well... go outside to your Ex. Lay underneath the front tire and you will see the bottom plastics of your bumper assembly. They are just hanging there in the wheel well. I took out a drill, put a couple holes in the plastics and then tied them back by attaching zip-ties to any sturdy piece of metal I could find underneath the truck. It allows for a lot more space under there. I am currently painting some plastics on my EX... so I will go take a pic to show you exactly what I mean.

Here are some pics of the zip-ties in action. All these photos were taken while lying underneath the front of the car. It gives you an idea of where the bumper material is and some metal to attach it to. The only tie that is slightly visible from the road is the one i coloured black... now you can't even see it.

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

And here is my baby today about to get a fresh 3 layers of Krylon Fusion Gloss Black followed by two mist layers of clear coat on the "cowl" and arms of the wipers. I was too lazy to attempt to remove the cowl... seemed moderately complicated.

IMG_2733.jpg

Oh I see, yes I know what you are talking about now, thanks for the pictures.

I actually just painted my wiper cowl too. Not hard to take off at all. All you have to do is take off the wiper blades, and with the hood open pop up the cowl, it is only secured in with clips.

I had to repaint mine because when I cleaned my engine with engine degreaser, some splattered onto the wiper cowl and bleached it white in the spots where it landed on! I couldn't scrub it off. I think it may have been some chemical reaction that mixed with the armor-all I put on earlier. This is my conclusion because the black pieces inside of the engine that did not have armor-all on did not bleach.

Now I know to never get engine degreaser on any black pieces with armor-all on them unless I want them bleached white!

Painted my calipers today.... Hell of a job getting that rust off to prep them!

I absolutely love the colour... I know it ain't for everyone but I think they turned out badass!

IMG_2741.jpg

Rear:
IMG_2742.jpg

Front:
IMG_2743.jpg

Nice job - fun isn't it?! The green looks good and will go well with the colour of your truck - not that it really matters what others think; it's your truck and everyone knows green brakes are better than white ones!

I like the green man...good job!

Got a pic of the cowl with the gloss black on it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i like this idea... if u try putting a heavy primer on ur plastic u mite be able to buy a can of brushable herculiner that goes on pretty nicely... itd give it a pretty good touch.

I am somewhat confused by the herculiner reference... All i can find online is a roll-on paint made for the bed of a pick-up truck. It has grit in it for grip etc.

Is that what you are talking about? Rolling that on my side panels?

Back