NintyEight-XLT's ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NintyEight-XLT's ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Garden City, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I bought the ranger in the beginning of sept. and its a 1995 4.0L stick and 2wd. Then I bought a 2" lift kit a little bit after I bought thte truck, put it on and didnt like it. So then I bought a 4" lift kit from rough country which is mostly put on, still have to do the shocks and drop pitman arm. And I put some crager soft 8's on, they were chrome and I painted them black. And I have some 31x10.5 mudcraft m/t. I still have a bunch to do but the truck is close enough to drive once I get these couple of things done.

Stock the day I bought it:
005.jpg

002.jpg

The 2" lift:
005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Then the 4" lift with the rims and tires:
003-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

once I move the truck I wil have better pics of the 4" lift.

and the rims:
before; chrome
001-1.jpg

after; black
001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Looking good...:D

..Btw, both pics show the chrome wheels...;)

I've been getting that a lot with those pics, everyone thinks both are pics of chrome but the second one really is black :)

I've been getting that a lot with those pics, everyone thinks both are pics of chrome but the second one really is black :)

Yeah-you can see the chrome through the black-the paint is semi transparent. Looks very cool!!!

:thumbsup:

Love the wheels!

nice ranger keep up the good work

thanks, it didnt really take that long for anything. I got the 4" kit one day and the next 2 days I put the kit on and the third day I bought tires and got them mounted. This was the quickest 2wd lift I have done.

r u planning on doing other mods to ur ranger

For now I am going to do small things like, get rid of the cat converter, flowmaster, roll bar, clear corners, finish removing the pin stiping, spray paint my frame so it doesnt look as bad, different seats, remove carpet. Then later on I want to do a solid axle and put a t-case on, and hopefully paint the truck.

Well I am still not quite done but good enough to move it 15ft
001-4.jpg

002-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

cant wait till I get to put a fresh coat of mud on, might be able to take it out for thanksgiving, if I get off my a$$ and fix the rear brake lines, figure out why my battery drains, find a new way to get the pitman arm off cause I cant get the nut off , & lastly the alignment.

oh that is one sweet looking ranger.Have you thought about dove tail and bobing the rear at of the hangers?Are you gonna convert it to 4wd??? maye a solid solid axle?

oh that is one sweet looking ranger.Have you thought about dove tail and bobing the rear at of the hangers?Are you gonna convert it to 4wd??? maye a solid solid axle?

Thanks!
I would like to do all of that, but it depends on what I am doing with my explorer, if I keep the explorer and keep it stock I will slowly convert the ranger to 4x4 with a solid axle. I would like to drive the ranger for a while, I still havent really drove it, nor put more than a mile on the truck since I bought it :D

I wouldnt touch the bed til it gets messed up because it is pretty clean.

update, its close to being drivable. I got teh stock pitman arm off which took a long time and got the new drop pitman arm on, but the bad thing I found out my drag link wasnt the greatest so I have all new tie rods and have to get those on soon. Then the last thing I can think of that I really need to do is a metal brake line in the rear and I should be set. alignment and being plated is another thing though, but that is next check, I have been spending money like crazy.

update. The truck is all together and being driven finally. But, I am gonna park it and get everything straightened out for the sas. I am doing a XJ D30, finding a 4.0L manual trans and a t-case in the junkyard to sawp in. As soon I as I get some money I will start.

well I have a little update with the ranger, its at a halfway stage. I am looking through the junkyasrds for a 4x4 trans with a t-case for the truck and doin a XJ Dana 30. After the first offroading trip w/ the Ranger I was majorly disappointed so I have to upgrade

so why were you disappointed???

The truck didnt do as good as I was expecting, my little 2.2 2wd S10 did better when I had it. Before taking the truck out wheeling I thought I was just going to leave it 2wd 'n lifted, but now changed my mind to make the truck have better capabilities. Plus the truck wasnt quite big enough, but I could have fixed that with a body lift (I'd rather have all suspension lift).

and another thing, it didnt want to move on slightly slick areas. I kept getting "stuck" in areas that I shouldnt have at all.

I wasnt stuck there. There were areas that had maybe 1/4" of snow and the truck wasnt doing anything. It was a bunch of dumb **** that 4x4 could improve with my truck. I did the truck just to offroad and I should have done what I wanted to in the first place instead of wasting more than a grand on lift, tires, rims, alignment, mounting & balancing tires on rims. I should have put more thought into what I was going to do, and I am not going to be lazy and sell my too-weel and buy another pos 4-wheel. It's just a constant cycle with me and I am stopping it with this truck.

A limited slip or locker in the rear end will help immensely (lots cheaper than a SAS, too.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My brother went with me there and had the same lift amount and tires as me but he has 4.56's and a locker and he did about the same as me.

Back