Exploring the beaches of Moreton Island (Australia) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exploring the beaches of Moreton Island (Australia)

JCUZ

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Canberra, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited V8
Here are a few shots of our recent trip to moreton island off the Queensland coast (Australia). For any Aussies thinking of going - do it! The Ex loved it; it may sound easy driving on sand etc, and it is after some practice, so is definitely a good way to get to know your ex off the beaten track.

Tanga_Water_crossing.jpg

Tanga_Wrecks_1.jpg

Tanga_Sunset_1.jpg

More pics to come as I get them off the camera.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great pictures! What are those net looking things on you back doors?

man i wished i was there..16 degrees outside right now and these pics make me want it to be summer even more

WOW that 3rd pic is awesome.... i sight many people have never seen before... such beauty....nice looking ex by the way

97awdx - they are sun shades. These ones are the largest they ell (extra large) and they are still too small for the Ex's rear doors. They help keep the sun off the kids - I could go darker tinit, but it's already close to darkest legal, and these do the same job and are removable in seconds.

02silverxls - Yeh, we live on the east coast of Australia so it's very difficult to see a sunset like that (sun sets in the west) - the advantage of being on this island is that we got to see the sunset over the water like that because this island is about 30km off the coast. Everyone in the villas near us was snapping away each night. I have one shot on the camera that transitions from orange to blues and purples - it's really spectacular.

2nd pic -- is that the remains of a wooden ship on the right?

2nd pic -- is that the remains of a wooden ship on the right?

It's the remains of some ship, and is largely rusted away, so I assume it was at least a metal frame. There are lots of shipwrecks in the waters around the island - some have been put there purposely for tourists/divers, some occurred naturally.

A couple more shots from the island:

Sunset shots (ooohhhhhh):
Tanga_Sunset_3.jpg

Tanga_Sunset_2.jpg

The steepest track on the island. doesn't look steep here, but it is, as evidenced by the rubber mats that have been burried, along with some strong chain for those really wet days:
Tanga_Track_1.jpg

That looks like an awesome island to "cruise" on Jcuz, did you ever get that rear light installed???

That looks like an awesome island to "cruise" on Jcuz, did you ever get that rear light installed???

It was a great place to do my first lot of serious offroading. Even the kids had a ball!

Yep, got the light installed and working.
Explorer_Rear_light.jpg

Explorer_Basket_Lights.jpg

sick pictures

Thanks for the pics. It was -29.5C (-21F) at my house this morning, those made my day.

--Joe

I still hate you!:p:
I'm up north today and it's like this, even the deer are freezing.

deer20090115161327488-vi.jpg

Bob

nice pictures and ur x is looking sharp

Hey JCUZ, Really appreciate the taste of "Down Under". I take for granted the power of this whole internet thing. How else could I (in little Oakdale Tn.) see and talk with folks literally half way around the world nearly in real time? One day I really want to come visit.

The Ex looks great. I'm want to look into the tire carrier.

Thanks all - the holiday is the best we've been on!

goatman - wait for RBs tyre carrier; it is sure to be better than mine! though mine has now been on for around 1800km and is still attached, so i guess I did something right.

A few more shots of the world's third largest sand island:

Tanga_Lighthouse_1.jpg

Tanga_View_1.jpg

Tanga_View_2.jpg

Tanga_Track_2.jpg

Tanga_Wrecks_2a.jpg

It was a great place to do my first lot of serious offroading. Even the kids had a ball!

Yep, got the light installed and working.
Explorer_Rear_light.jpg

thats sweet, so does it only light up in reverse or can you flip it on whenever you please??

thats sweet, so does it only light up in reverse or can you flip it on whenever you please??

Yep, both - there's a seperate switch so that I can have it on without needing reverse; still needs at least parkers on though. But it means I can high beam anyone who high beams me (might be slightly illegal).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes J, Moreton is such a fun and relaxing time, the Tangalooma resort is fantastic, we'll get there early Feb, can't wait haven't been there since we fitted the 265/70/17's, so I'm keen as mustard, hope we catch up tomorrow
Scotty

Back