• Register Today It's free!

Engine Dying

empkric

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Sport
I just recently bought a 96 Exp Sport and love it but recently it acted as if it was not getting gas, had no power and died! It did this several times on my 14 mile trip home. In park it runs fine but put it in gear and go for a while and the problem is back. The fuel filter and fuel pump were changed last month as part of my maint program that I do with every new vehicle I get and, I started adding injector cleaner. Dealer said it was the MAS but your postings say it may not be. My next guess is the EGR or a vaccum leak. Any other ideas or what to look at first?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would clean the MAFS with some good fuel injector/carb cleaner. As for a vacume leak, you can most of the time hear it and find it pretty easy. It could be an EGR problem, but I would start with the easy ones first.

Cleaned the MAF, Cleaned the Tps no change. Still acts as if it is not getting gas and dies. Idles between 1000 and 500 and still surges but now. I hear a high pitched wine coming from under the car on the drivers side. Begining to wonder if I made the right choice in cars.

Try cleaning or replacing the IAC.

replaced MAF, cleaned IAC, replaced TPS, ran sea foam, replaced air filter, new fuel filter, new fuel pump. Can not find any vaccum leaks, pvc and egr checked. Still no power increasing pressure on the gas pedal, stalls as if it is not getting gas and will die. No codes. New wires, new plugs ready to go in but not accomplished yet. I am lost and ready to let my baby go if I can not reslove this~

After owning my 2000 Explorer XLS for around a year I am now working on it and it has developed a problem where it starts to lose power and dies. I haven't driven it but every now and then because I have had other vehicles I can drive too. The Explorer started doing this a couple of weeks ago on a trip home and now it does it idling in the yard. Have you found a solution to your Explorer's problem?

I replaced the 2000 Explorer's IAC and TPS with N.O.S. Ford parts and it is still doing it. I was going to go to the MAF and the EGR valve next (thinking a sticking EGR valve will cause a vehicle to run rough OR not run at all). I also had a 1989 GT Convertible Mustang that I gave my daughter do something similar and it wound up being a $10.00 fuel pump relay. I was searching for a fuse layout for the 2000 XLS when I saw the problem you had listed here.

Since there is no "check engine light" associated with the failure I am thinking electrical (fuse?) rather than sensor failure. Thanks.

Tried that too. No luck. Anything related to fuel delivery has been tested and checked. Put in new plugs and did find 2 fouled plugs which was caused by Sea Foam but I was ready for that. Also discovered the gas cap that was on the truck when I bought it was not the right one therefore not sealing and causing vac code. All codes are gone. Next step is to change EVERY vac hose, test every fuse and check PCM. When that is done and if it does not fix the problem, I am done.

Back