Engine dies | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine dies

5specks

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
I have a 97 explorer 4.0. When driving it will die. It does it at different speeds and not all the time. Sometimes it will go minutes and sometimes it will go days. When it does die it takes 4 or 5 tries to get it to start. Like it lost its prime. It only does it driving. It will idle all day. I already changed the fuel filter. Help please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the fuel pressure? Do you hear the fuel pump running, engine off, key on for about 2 seconds? Next time it dies have a rubber mallet handy, smack the bottom of the fuel tank and see if the pump runs allowing an immediate restart.

FUel filter could be clogged. Run a tube of injector cleaner through a tank of gas before starting on important stuff.

I changed the fuel filter yesterday. It is dying now if it idles for about five minutes. After it died I depressed the fuel depressurization valve on the fuel rail and I am getting a lot of fuel out of it, so I don't think it's a fuel flow problem. I have moved around all fuses and relays that I could and It's still doing it. I am leaning to the crank sensor or ignition coil.

fuel pressure not spray distance

As little as 0.5 psi will squirt fuel out of the Schrader valve. Also, my fuel system will hold pressure to 10 psi for more than 24 hours. You need to measure fuel pressure using a gauge with the engine running to eliminate low fuel pressure as a cause of your problem. Fuel pressure for your return fuel system should be 30 to 45 psi with the vacuum hose attached to the fuel pressure regulator and 45 to 50 psi with the vacuum hose detached. You may have to remove the Schrader valve core to get an accurate reading.

Do you have the OHV or SOHC V6?

Back