04 Limited with Audiophile, aftermarket amp +sub | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Limited with Audiophile, aftermarket amp +sub

Archetype3791

Reaction score
City, State
H-Town Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
Has anyone had any experience with an 04+ model? I am trying to find wiring diagrams for my 04 X Limited with the factory amp and sub so I can put in my aftermarket amp and my Kicker L7. I see many people have posted diagrams for the 01 and down but I am pretty sure that wont work for me. If I am not mistaken, I should be able to use the sub out line to the factory amp for my new amp? Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply Donner.

That link will def help me a little, I have yet to take off the panel to get a look at the amp and sub so the pictures gave me a little insight. I am hoping I don't have to go to a aftermarket head unit, I like my setup right now with an PIE Ipod adapter i hooked into the SAT port.

Alright! Good luck with the project... I'm sure you'll get some pretty good responses. Take care!

Has anyone had any experience with an 04+ model?

For Audiophile you should have Phase II plugs, check the back of the radio for grey plugs. '04 had two types of plugs Old World and PhaseII thus its very hard to find stuff for a '04 as the aftermarket couldn't tell what type it had, but since its PhaseII it should be the same as '05's and up if your looking for adapters and aftermarket kits. . . .

I actually added a Audiophile from a base unit for my '04, since i had the base unit i had black world plugs thus i looked for '03 adapters. . .

I had to figure that out about the plugs when I was searching for my ipod adapter, I think mine are the phase II 16/ 22 pin connectors. Do you see any problem in splicing in before the Audiophile amp and using that sub line for my new amp/sub combo?

Your Audiophile Amp is in the radio, so you would have to use Speaker level inputs. For the Sub it's Amp is in the back by the woofer and they make RCA adapters (PIE) for that.

For the Stock Radio the output is split so that only <150hz goes to the SubAmp, and the doors get 150-20,000hz. . .
Therefore doors would go to your Amp, but then the Sub would also have to go to your Sub Amp and bypass the factory Sub Amp.

Thank you JR. So this adapter that you speak of, does it connect to the subs amp harness?

"Therefore doors would go to your Amp, but then the Sub would also have to go to your Sub Amp and bypass the factory Sub Amp. "

The doors have to go through the speaker amp on the head unit and they go to the sub amp? I am a little confused at this one, please explain. Or are you saying that I can hook in before the stock sub amp and use it as a line in to my new amp sub combo and take the old one out of the loop? Thank you

eh, im confused too. .lol. .
That picture is of the adapter (right) that plugs into the factory Sub Amp wiring, and (left) factory speakers wires. It looks like the back of the radio. It would be used to plug a Aftermarket HU to stock wires.

Door Speakers Amp is in the stock Radio.
Sub has its own Amp in the back, so the lead out of the Stock Radio are PreOuts for the sub.

Hopefully this will explain better. . . .

Back