'04 Explorer - Premium Audiophile Sub/Amp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'04 Explorer - Premium Audiophile Sub/Amp

afmanusa

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I have the Premium Audiophile sounds system with ford's included sub and amp. I am wanting to put in an aftermarket kenwood deck I have and have the right harnesses (hopefully) on order.

The one thing I have been able to find out about using their stock sub and amp combo is that it runs off 5v instead of the normal 12v signals. I was able to get the wiring & connector diagrams for the system from ford etc... that have helped. However I was told I'll need to wire in a resistor to get the 12v down to the 5v needed for power on of the amp.

Does anyone know of an easier way to do this than the resistor (besides gutting and replacing the factory sub/amp combo)? They put out what I want as is for audio. I just wanted the MP3 abilities of my kenwood deck from a previous vehicle.

Thank you!!

Kickertrac

First rule of car audio stock SUCKS evan so called premium.I have a shop that does custom audio,vidio,rims,upholstry,ect. I have done car audio for at least ten years and I dont care what hey tell you at the car lot dont waste your mony on a stock or stock upgraded system. Now you have a Kenwood deck hear what you really want and get a real amp and sub or subs! YOU WONT REGRET IT. But what ever you do dont waste your money on stock or swap meet brand products.Get a reliable product. Sorry if I offend anyone with stock and swap meet brand sucks but been arround too long and seen many customers get ripped off! Good Luck with what ever you choose. LATER, KICKERTRAC

I would be willing to upgrade the amp and sub, but would want to make as little of an impact on the interior space as possible, and like the stock sub/amp being in the rear cargo area wall. I know an amp would be easy to put somewhere without restircting cargo space, but how hard would it be to find an aftermarket sub to replace in the stock's spot?

I have never ventured into the sub/amp areas of audio upgrades before, and know very little on them.

BIG BASS small space

You can get 12" subs now that are only 3.5 inches tall and the box you only need 5 inches at its deepest point including the 3/4 mdf. Pioneer premier makes the one I am writing about and I have personally had it in my sport trac. It handles up to 1,200 watts max and 300 rms. Earthquake also make some flat subs they evan have a 15 inch but I have not used any of there products but spoke with them at SEMA and CES and we may be soon trying theyre products. Now as for amps you can find some tiny little MONSTERS!You can also use the same location as stock but definately use a proper amp kit for the size amp your running. Size as in how many watts its pushing not how big the amp is. Meaning use the correct size wire to feed and ground the amp or amps and also the correct size fuses. GOOD LUCK AGAIN! later KICKERTRAC

Back