• Register Today It's free!

removal of front drive shaft

sweetrolls

Reaction score
City, State
Holland, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
so how do u take the front driveshaft off....i have never delt with a drive shaft like this before....i got the front yoke off but do i take the bolts out of the part on the drive shaft or to i remove it a different way, and also ive been reading about the 5.0 tc prooblem and i was wondering if it is any different on a 4.0 ohv setup...
thanks
nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the 97 model year there should be a cv joint on the TC end of the drive shaft. Remove six bolts and you're done. It won't have the slow creep in park if thats the 5.0 tc problem you're referring to...that only applies for awd, not autotrac 4wd. I've been driving with no front driveshaft or diff for a month now, no problems.

For the 97 model year there should be a cv joint on the TC end of the drive shaft. Remove six bolts and you're done. It won't have the slow creep in park if thats the 5.0 tc problem you're referring to...that only applies for awd, not autotrac 4wd. I've been driving with no front driveshaft or diff for a month now, no problems.

No front driveshaft....ok
No front diff..... possible BIG problem:
If you converted to 2wd spindles and hubs/wheel bearings, then ok. If you just took out your front diff and axles, then you have a major accident waiting to happen. (and it won't wait very long) The cv axle shafts and the retaining nut help to hold the front wheel bearings together. Without the front cv axles in place (or at least the outer stub in the hub, w/ the nut tightend normally), your front wheel bearings WILL come apart, causing your front wheel(s) to fall off while driving. Not good! :roll::dead:

Thanks for the concern, but no worries. I researched the hub bearing failures on here before removing the diff. I'm using the cv outers in the hubs. 2000 miles and running strong. I'm afraid it will be in this configuration until I can replace my front pinion bearings :(

Thanks for the concern, but no worries. I researched the hub bearing failures on here before removing the diff. I'm using the cv outers in the hubs. 2000 miles and running strong. I'm afraid it will be in this configuration until I can replace my front pinion bearings :(

Glad to hear you planned ahead.:thumbsup:

The pinion bearings shouldln't be too bad, with the diff removed from the truck. I recently did a rear rebuild on a '97 Sport, with it in the truck. In order to get the right angle and leverage to tap out the outer pinion race, I had the the truck jacked up so far, the front bumper was just about on the ground!!!! That was scary. As for your front, while you have it out, you might want to check the 3 rubber bushings that hold the diff to the chassis. Mine were getting a little worn. I have Ford part#'s if you need them.(dealer only item) The passngr side outer also had the hole on the frame slightly oblonged! I also noticed that this would be a good time to do motor mounts (with the front diff out)

Back