• Register Today It's free!

Door lock help.

energie

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Hi, so i just bought a 2000 explorer xlt after selling my 91 ex. anyway, the door locks stick in the drivers side occasionally. i took the panel off but couldnt really tell what was causing it. it has power door locks and when i go to unlock them all 3 unlock except the drivers door occasionally sticks and wont unlock, i have to go around and open the handle from the inside. anyone know what to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to be the one to tell you to search, but yea, you're going to have to for more detailed info..

I think it's caused by a broken latch in the drivers door and is quite common. If you look at your driver side latch compared to the passenger side, you can usually see a broken spring or something sticking out. Only fix is latch replacement, but you can try lubing it up with some spray white lithium grease.

lol i always get that search thing. i thought something could have been broken, but it does work occasionally, its just hit or miss. sounds like its sticking somewhere but i took it apart. looked, it doesnt seem to be interfering with anything. and those little yellow joint clips that hold all the rods in place arent broken or anything so i dunno

Yea just search for door latch, door lock, etc. I looked in to this awhile back.. Look at the latch part that actually grabs when the door is shut, see if anything is out of place.

You can fix that door lock button...

Yea just search for door latch, door lock, etc. I looked in to this awhile back.. Look at the latch part that actually grabs when the door is shut, see if anything is out of place.

Welcome to the 2nd Gen door lock button won't work right club!

There's an easy fix for this bad Ford engineering problem... You need to "re-spring" a small connector to the door lock button inside the door panel. Sort of jerry-rigged, but it fixes it for good.

See post #78 on the link below...

Good Luck!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165081&page=4

I had similar problems with my 98 Mounty. The lock actuator mountings and linkages appeared tight. I ended up replacing all five actuators, and using bolts instead of the #$% rivets. I also lubed all linkage points. Now the locks work awesome! The Ford replacement lock actuators seem to be an upgraded improved design compared to the old originals.

i did that spring thing, works like a charm! thanks

Back