KYB vs Monroe vs OEM Shocks/Struts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KYB vs Monroe vs OEM Shocks/Struts

trayson

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
Okay, KYB is now making shocks/struts for Gen3 explorers. I desperately need some as my OEM ones are crap after rolling with 20's and the ground force lowering springs.

Question #1: KYB is showing that there's a difference in the 2002-2003 verses the 2004-2005. In fact, some places are showing that there isn't a front strut for my 2004, other places are showing one.

Question #2: Which brand should I go with and why???

p.s. I just called the parts department @ my local Ford dealer & I guess there's different part #'s between 2003 & 2004. Go figure. :thumbdwn: :fire: :( :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shoot, I just got off the phone with a KYB tech guy and the 2004 - 2005 fronts aren't going to be out for probably another year! :fire:

I guess there was a difference between 03 and 04 for the front only. KYB says that their rear application works for 02 - 05.

For anyone that's researching part numbers:

2004-05 KYB Front: Still in development/testing, release ~1 year out :mad:
2002-03 KYB Front: 341326 $85.90 w/ free shipping @ www.shockwarehouse.com
2002-05 KYB Rear: 341327 $85.90 each w/ free shipping @ www.shockwarehouse.com

2004-05 Monroe Front: 931398 $89.60 Each w/ free shipping @ www.shockwarehouse.com
2002-03 Monroe Front: 931321
2002-05 Monroe Rear: 931322 $77.92 Each w/ free shipping @ www.shockwarehouse.com
FYI, www.planetautoparts.com had lower prices on the rear shocks, but didn't list the 2004 fronts. Obviously they're available, so if I order Monroe's I'll likely give them a call to find out if they're cheapest. They have free shipping too.

2004-05 Ford OEM Front: 5L2Z18124AB ~$118 Each from my local Ford Dealer
2004-05 Ford OEM Rear: L42Z18125BA ~$127 Each from my local Ford Dealer

2004-05 Rancho Front: Not yet made
2002-03 Rancho Front: RSX17506 $89.83 Each w/ Free Shipping from www.shockwarehouse.com
2002-05 Rancho Rear: RSX17507 $89.83 Each w/ Free shipping from www.shockwarehouse.com

SOOOOO, I think I'll give Rancho a call soon and find out how long until they release the 2004-05 fronts. If it's going to be a long time, I think I'll have to settle for the Monroe's, since they're definitely less expensive than OEM.

Looks like 2002 & 2003 models have a much better selection (as they get KYB and Rancho right now).

Hope this helps someone.

-Trayson

that sucks, I am getting ready to drop mine and was wanting to order KYB. I might wait to drop it. I still have to order a camber kit anyway.

I was in the same boat too; only my '04 had 19k on it. I could feel the cracks in NEW pavement. Tried to warranty it but no luck, had to be leaking for a warr replacement.

Still being under warranty I didn’t want to void it what was left, so I went with OEM installed.
The first Quote was in 800 range about right with the cost of the struts. But then on the garage on a wall a Ford billboard in the service dept. advertised “Ford Struts installed 200 a pair” - well guess what after checking with the Service mgr I did get the mgr’s “mistake discount”. Haven’t been back since to see if the sign is down.

For 400 bucks later the ride is much better and worth it. How long they last is anyone’s guess.

Jim.

edit: i did go back a year or two later, price went up a bunch. . .300+ a pair. . .

I think we need to revisit this topic since it's been a while. Anyone aware of any new options in the marketplace?

Right now, it's still looking like Monroe or OEM for those of us with 2004's. :thumbdwn: :mad:

It ticks me off that Bilstein makes shocks for the Expedition, but not the Explorer. I'd pull the trigger on Bilstein's in a heartbeat.

I had the Monroe Reflex shocks on my 2nd gen and loved them. On my '99 they firmed up the cornering significantly. I plan on doing these for the struts on my '03 in the spring. I priced them at rockauto.com for 72.00 each.

Good luck
TsaktuO

Just googled this...

> Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer! To show our appreciation, we
have a special discount for you.
>
> Your discount code is:
>
> 534464488823
>
> Here's how to use it:
>
> * In our Java Catalog, enter your code in the "How did you hear about us"
line of the shopping cart.
> * In our non-Java Catalog, enter your code in the "Discount Code" field of
the Shopping Cart and click "Calculate Discount."
>
> **NOTE: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in
front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the
discount code, no other words or numbers.**
>
> The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices, and there's no limit on
order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and
share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner
garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.
>
> This discount code expires on January 9, 2007; so don't wait!
>

I think we need to revisit this topic since it's been a while. Anyone aware of any new options in the marketplace?

Right now, it's still looking like Monroe shocks or OEM for those of us with 2004's. :thumbdwn: :mad:

It ticks me off that Bilstein makes shocks for the Expedition, but not the Explorer. I'd pull the trigger on Bilstein's in a heartbeat.

It's an endless issue. It's just a matter of choice. I'm happy with Monroe stuffs. Been using it since 27.

Monroe has a Sensatrac "Quick Strut" out - a coil and strut combo. I've seen them at autobarn.net for $193...I think that's each! I just hit 100,000 miles so I'll need some soon.

"Front Strut & Coil Spring Assem;Front; Sensa-Trac Quick-Strut; Incl New Sensa-Trac Strut, Coil Spring,;Bearing Plate, Insulator, Boot Kit; 2 Per Veh; Years: 2002-2003"

i heart my KYB's nice solid + soft ride...worth the money.

Been doing some pricing of the QuickStruts for my '02

Part #171321 Front Quick Strut
-Best price i could find (hard to find) $187.61 from Shockwarehouse.com

Part #171322 Rear Quick Strut
-Best price $145.79 from RockAuto

Hope that helps a bit

Can anyone let me know their opinion's on the best strut to use with raised (2") spring's? Cheer's:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I recommend Irish Spring. :cool:

At least it'll smell nice under there, but I don't know what the mechanic is going to say when I tell him me suspension is blowing bubbles...:D

At this point I'm looking at the KYB GR-2's, I don't know if I need 'em tho'. My factory ones have 75k on them and everything seem's to sit and ride fine but is it worth swapping them while everything is out and the new spring's, ball joint's and front lift spacer's are being installed? I don't have any idea how long stockies last or if I'll get the full benefit of the raised spring's without new strut's.

Manly yes, but Lynchy likes it too!!

The colour matches my eyes..... thsuper, thank's for asking:D

Can you use spacers with the monroe quick strut? I know you cant with the rancho because they are a quick lift type set up.

Can you use spacers with the monroe quick strut? I know you cant with the rancho because they are a quick lift type set up.
You could but would need to still take off the spring... may as well get the cheaper ones and reuse spring or get the ranchos

So would I be better off with new springs and struts for the spacers(2.25") or could I just get the kyb spring/strut combo to use with the spacers?

So would I be better off with new springs and struts for the spacers(2.25") or could I just get the kyb spring/strut combo to use with the spacers?

you talking about preassembled VS not preassembled? preassembled would be alot less time consuming but with new springs, struts, and spacers that will be like riding on a brick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Preassembled kyb.

Back