replacement struts- what choices do we have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacement struts- what choices do we have?

BajaXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 2WD
So im looking into new struts for the X with 73,x.. miles on it..

So far Im seeing only 3 choices-

1)Rancho QL (Monroe makes them) couldnt give these 2 me..
2)KYB Gr2s
3)OEM dealer struts- valved seriously too soft

I cant believe that Bilstein, etc doesnt make a replacement shock.

Is this all there is? Are we that limited on '02+ replacemnt struts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So im looking into new struts for the X with 73,x.. miles on it..

So far Im seeing only 3 choices-

1)Rancho QL (Monroe makes them) couldnt give these 2 me..
2)KYB Gr2s
3)OEM dealer struts- valved seriously too soft

I cant believe that Bilstein, etc doesnt make a replacement shock.

Is this all there is? Are we that limited on '02+ replacemnt struts?

BajaX
the 3th gen does not have "struts"; they are a A-arm/coil over shock design ;)
did you check with King (will be $$$ ).... i know King makes a lot of OEM replacements like for toy tacomas and other popular desert "prerunners"

i actually have a pic here of my 03 X....it looks like the front C/O has to be a special design to clear the driveshaft on a 4wd....
dscf1838_3_20080823_2036779980.jpg

it is basically a strut with a coil on it(yes a coil over but no King doesn make a C/O for the X.

That piece your calling a driveshaft is in fact the tie rod coming from the steering rack.

PS> drive shaft is no where near the c/os as that goes from transfer case under X to the rear diff (on a 4WD or from the rear of trans on a 2WD X)

it is basically a strut with a coil on it(yes a coil over but no King doesn make a C/O for the X.

That piece your calling a driveshaft is in fact the tie rod coming from the steering rack.

PS> drive shaft is no where near the c/os as that goes from transfer case under X to the rear diff (on a 4WD or from the rear of trans on a 2WD X)

lol splitting hairs:rolleyes:
i know my my 03 is a 2wd and i know how a tierod looks like :p:

but your right, i used the wrong word; the shock has a reduced diameter bottom to clear the front axle shaft :p:
anyway, a strut and a coil over shock absorber are 2 different things :D

btw i just noticed that you have a 2wd as well so you dont need that reduced bottom. i bet with a little engineering it would be easy to adapt a aftermarket coilover to it.
i like to use King shocks on my large desert cars but i think for a Ex i would look into something like the dual adjustable QA1 coilovers (a lot less $$$)
Single-Double-Adjustable-.gif

just looked at my other pics:
replacing the factory rear coilover with something more adjustable looks to be easy...
dscf1810_8_20080823_1230103627.jpg

but the opening in the lower front A-arm for the C/O is very narrow :eek::
dscf1836_4_20080823_1551925770.jpg

i personally would replace the (stamped steel) lower A-arm with a fabricated arm. i think this way you could actually gain some more ground clearance...(same goes for the lower rear arms....IMHO they hang way too low)

BajaX
the 3th gen does not have "struts"; they are a A-arm/coil over shock design ;)
did you check with King (will be $$$ ).... i know King makes a lot of OEM replacements like for toy tacomas and other popular desert "prerunners"

i actually have a pic here of my 03 X....it looks like the front C/O has to be a special design to clear the driveshaft on a 4wd....
dscf1838_3_20080823_2036779980.jpg

Unfortunately King doesn't make them, neither does fabtech, fox, or any other decent company.
I'm working on using a universal King remote reservoir coilover, but it's going to take some fabrication.

the lager diameter King probably wouldnt even need a reservoir(less $) as the larger body and shaft would disapate the heat. I doubt any offroading in the X would ever get the shock hot enough to need a reservoir (which is used to hold extra shock oil for cooling)

Ive been around off- road racing all my life and this is by far the hardest vehicle Ive owned so far to mod.

I should have stuck with a '99-'01 X with the standard solid rear 8.8 axle and spindle front(2WD)

0312_13z+Ford_Explorer+Front_Driver_Side_View.jpg

0701or+lance_magin_explorer+medium.jpg

16.jpg

Owell live and learn. :(

Back