• Register Today It's free!

My Mountaineer

CobraMountaineer

Reaction score
City, State
Salisbury, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Merc Mountaineer
Ok, so now I am Elite, and want to post my pics for all of you to see. Been talking about it, and well here it is:

Attachments

• 0927091051a.jpg
    0927091051a.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 548
  • 0927091057.jpg
    0927091057.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 503
  • 0927091059a.jpg
    0927091059a.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 510
  • 0927091054a.jpg
    0927091054a.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 514

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool. What paint work did you do to it? It doesn't look like a stock configuration.

What do you use all the equipment for?

Does it move pretty well with that motor?

Congrats, looks nice.

Cool. What paint work did you do to it? It doesn't look like a stock configuration.

What do you use all the equipment for?

Does it move pretty well with that motor?

Ok, paint on the lower line, beacuse I hate the faded purple/grey faded out plastic look. Krylon Fusion Flat Black the whole way around including bumpers and grill. It also works great on clear coated rims, hence the blacked out wheels.

To answer your 2nd question, look at my signature...lol

If you look for the TURBO Explorer in the want ads here, well, it goes alot faster than that. Mid to High 10's in the 1/4. I beat a new Nissan TiTan w/V8 with now problems, walked right away from him.
She's for-sale look for it...
:salute:

I see the 4wd switch on your dash - is this a v8 with selectable electric shift 4x4?

Under his "vehicle specs" he has his transfer case listed as the 4406, which is the manual select 4X4 transfer case out of a F150. I cant see the shifter for the transfer case coming up out of the floor, picture isn't clear enough. Maybe he added the transfer case, the front and rear driveshafts and has the radio bezel from the "auto 4x4" system in the 6 cylinder explorers. If it came stock with the V8, that definately isnt the stock bezel. The V8's came 2WD or AWD, and that button does not exist for those systems.

Maybe he added the transfer case, the front and rear driveshafts and has the radio bezel from the "auto 4x4" system in the 6 cylinder explorers. If it came stock with the V8, that definately isnt the stock bezel. The V8's came 2WD or AWD, and that button does not exist for those systems.

That's why I asked...

The bezel was a replacement from junk yard by prior owner. It does have a 4406, but I thought that was the original transfer case? I need to look again at the transfer case. At the time I looked underneath, I could have sworn that it was a 4406. Need to look again. Sorry about the confusion. I will look tomorrow.

The bezel was a replacement from junk yard by prior owner. It does have a 4406, but I thought that was the original transfer case? I need to look again at the transfer case. At the time I looked underneath, I could have sworn that it was a 4406. Need to look again. Sorry about the confusion. I will look tomorrow.

No prob. If its a stock AWD system, its a BW4404. :popcorn:
The 4406 came in the F150 in the manual shift version, and in the Expedition with the electric shift. Theres a bunch of guys that have dropped the 4404, and installed the 4406. This writeup gives you the parts list and pretty clear directions. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&page=2
If you search theres a bunch of guys that have done it, so in theory you could possibly have it under there.
Good luck with your sale, and hope you and yours had a great christmas

nice mounty

No prob. If its a stock AWD system, its a BW4405. :popcorn:
The 4406 came in the F150 in the manual shift version, and in the Expedition with the electric shift. Theres a bunch of guys that have dropped the 4405, and installed the 4406. This writeup gives you the parts list and pretty clear directions. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&page=2
If you search theres a bunch of guys that have done it, so in theory you could possibly have it under there.
Good luck with your sale, and hope you and yours had a great christmas

Stock transfer case for AWD V8 Explorers is a BW4404.
Stock transfer case for Control Trac V6 Explorers is BW4405.

Looked underneath the other day. It is a 4404, and changed the specs. Sorry for the confusion...

Back