Satin Black Explorer/Mountaineer??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Satin Black Explorer/Mountaineer???

Doug_13K

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Ford Explorer Limited
So I'm still new here and i didnt have much luck with searching for a previous thread.. so here goes lol

im curious to see what the second generation explorers and mountaineers would look like plasti dipped in a matte or satin black color. ive thought about doing this for a while but i havent found many pictures online to see what the finished product would look like.

so my question is if you have done this, found any pics, or know of a previous thread that i didnt see would you mind dropping it below to help a guy out? lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, and I wouldn't suggest making the whole truck a satin or matte finish. I bought another Explorer last year, a 98 limited, and it has over a third of the body with a black primer or just dead paint from some past bodywork. I think the sides of mine are a flat or satin black, and the hood/front area is just dead paint from front end work. This picture below is the best to see the difference from a gloss black, and the low gloss sections. I don't like the lack of any shine, I hope to be able to get mine repainted this Spring.

1st pics 6.JPG

yeah, thats kinda why im leaning to the satin black over the matte. the satin is like the middle ground between gloss and matte.. i just want to get my mounty all one color again lol sun bleached hood, chipping paint on the fenders and roof.. the usual lol ive looked at just doing vinyl wrap too, but i dont want to buy all new door handles to do it properly (because they're riveted on rather than a bolt and nut)

another choice i have thought about is like a nice army green or like a sand dune tan... along with my black wheels and headlights (and a winch bumper soon) i think that would look bad ass. but at the same time that is even harder to find on an explorer on google images. lol cant win!

You mentioned a vinyl wrap, I've bought other products from a company that makes tons of removable paint or vinyl. The business is ALSA, and their pricing is typically high, but they run lots of deep discount specials often. I get emails from them at least once a week for various sales of one or two product lines, usually in the 50-60% off range.

I've bought their clear coat and a candy concentrate that I love(Blood Red) for repainting two of my cars.

They make lots of things which can be removed from any surface that isn't very porous(dead paint would likely not let it go), from chrome to a satin finish that they claim cannot be scratched. I'd look at those, on sale it may be almost feasible for a whole car.

I bought a gallon of a dark gray metallic, to do my rough wheels, for about $80 on sale. I haven't used it yet because I decided to not save my 18" wheels(they cannot be used for any car but mine because I had to have longer studs fitted to use a spacer). I'm using up these 18's and scrapping the wheels.

yeah, i actually found a second gen on instagram that was in the army green and it looked ok.. but i dont know. if i found more pics in the true satin black or in a sand dune tan i think it would be easier to choose.

hell if i can find someone who has photoshop on their computer i might just ask them to edit a couple pictures to give me some examples. but for now looks like ill just have to keep searching lol

Browse the ALSA website, even if just for ideas. I misspelled their name above, sorry, and here' a link to their metallic paint wrap page. This what I got a gallon of, the titanium gray for about $80 on sale. The normal price is $200. They have dozens of interesting products, and they run specials on something every week. I think their soft touch clear coating would be interesting for an Explorer, but the normal cost for a 2 gallon kit is $800. I've seen it on sale, but I don't recall if it was $500 or what, but most things they discount are 30% or more.
http://alsacorp.com/metallic-peel-off-paint/

1473248_600.jpg
Picture0216131030_1_zps520dc9f5.jpg

black-rims-jpg.jpg

Lol thanks toypaseo, guess I wasn't looking hard enough haha appreciate it!

A member on here used tan plastidip on his and it looks pretty dang good in my opinion, at least from afar. Flat black just looks cheap to me and not worth the expense or effort.

100_2420_zps8306d7d0.jpg

ok, screw it im doing mine in tan, maybe with some black design on it though.. but that does look pretty good. looks to me like he did his in a satin tan (with that slight sheen)

Back