rear struts, springs, and bearings out! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear struts, springs, and bearings out!

cden

Reaction score
City, State
michigan city, indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xls
I am looking at about $1,100 to get rear bearings, struts, and springs repaired on my 02 ford explorer xls 117,000 miles. does this seem like a fair price i got 2 estimates and they are within 200 bucks of each other. Is any of this work something I could tackle? The only maintenance i've done is oil changes, coolant changes, fuel pump stuff like that. I take it in to have the brakes worked on,so maybe I should leave this to the pros. what do u think. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear bearings have to be pressed, you could remove your knuckle and take it to a shop to get new ones pressed in and the old ones pressed out. Springs and shocks should be easy, just get a haynes manual and follow the directions. Make sure you have the proper tools though

I'm just curious why your springs need to be replaced at that mileage? Only thing I can think is that since it's an 02, perhaps they are cracked or broken (common problem on the 02 rears).

You could lessen a lot of that cost with a couple of hours of work on your end. Just remove the loaded struts and also remove both rear hub assemblies...then take those units to a shop and have them do the work for you...then just reassemble the stuff yourself. However as stated above, pickup a manual and do the struts (and springs if needed?) and hub/bearing assemblies yourself...only thing you need is to have the new bearings pressed into the new hub assy's from a machine shop or auto shop.

Truth be told, $1100 is not a far-fetched amount. When someone gives you a quote like that, ask them to break it down...how much for parts, how much for labor, and how much per hour do they charge for labor. It makes understanding the amount much easier.

I would be a little curious however about the spring replacement...so why do they want to replace those?

I just recently paid about a third of that amount to have that same thing done at a local garage. I bought all the parts myself and had the mechanic do the installation.

Timken bearing assembly: 146.99
Monroe strut: 89.99
Coil Springs: 106.00 only used one

Labor: 88.00

Total: 377.98

I just recently paid about a third of that amount to have that same thing done at a local garage. I bought all the parts myself and had the mechanic do the installation.

Timken bearing assembly: 146.99
Monroe strut: 89.99
Coil Springs: 106.00 only used one

Labor: 88.00

Total: 377.98

That's just for 1 side, he's getting both sides done.

the springs are cracked. thanks

the springs are cracked. thanks

Yep, very common issue with the 02's. As far as the springs are concerned, see if you can get some springs off an 03-05 if you go the way of used ones...if you get some off a used 02, you are destined to run into the same issue. The 03-05's should work (same part #). If you of course buy them new (aftermarket), then you should be ok...but you can sure save some money on used ones.

If you want to save about $500 off that price, do the work yourself and just get the rear bearings pressed. It would take you a weekend to do it.

You could lessen a lot of that cost with a couple of hours of work on your end. Just remove the loaded struts and also remove both rear hub assemblies...

Hardly that simple. For the average backyard mechanic you're looking at a full day of work just to remove the hubs and springs. You're dealing with severely rusted bolts, nuts, and arms. You need special tools such as a hub puller and a very large 1 3/8 socket. It's an exercise in frustrating but rewarding work but definitely takes more than a couple of hours. If your not mechanically inclined don't even think of attempting.

thanks! got it all fixed.

Hardly that simple. For the average backyard mechanic you're looking at a full day of work just to remove the hubs and springs. You're dealing with severely rusted bolts, nuts, and arms. You need special tools such as a hub puller and a very large 1 3/8 socket. It's an exercise in frustrating but rewarding work but definitely takes more than a couple of hours. If your not mechanically inclined don't even think of attempting.

You're assuming it has "severely rusted bolts"...they make a little thing called PB Blaster and/or Liquid Wrench for just that predicament.

It's not a hard job to pull the hubs and loaded strut assemblies off....I've done it, so many others have here as well....you?

I did my rear bearings / hubs and put in 2 monroe quick-struts #171322 all for a grand total of $423.00. Free labor supplied by me ! ;)

Back